Thread: Irish nurse - Skilled visa points

Default Irish nurse - Skilled visa points

HI All,
    My girlfriend is an Irish nurse who has a BSc in General Nursing and has qualified in Ireland 2011. She is 25. I am trying to ascertain whether she meets the 100 points to apply for a skilled visa or not.

In Ireland, nurses work in all aspects of nursing care (i.e. medical, surgical, midwifery etc), then graduate as a general nurse. When I look at the quick points calculator though, under the skilled shortages that are currently in demand, there are only specific names such as 'Nurse medical', not one that corresponds with a general nurse. If I'm correct, this means we cannot claim points for this, leaving us with 80 points. Can anyone help here?

Thanks in advance,
    Kieran

She does qualify for SMC. However the first place to start will be to first register with the NZ nursing council unless you are the principal applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchris View Post
    She does qualify for SMC. However the first place to start will be to first register with the NZ nursing council unless you are the principal applicant.
    Thanks for the reply. We spent last year in Australia so she is already registered with AHPRA there. I read that they have a system in place that NZ recognise this registration. She has also had her skills assessed by ANMAC in Australia, so I think this also counts for NZ.

Are you sure she qualifies? On the list of occupations I could not see general nurse.

Thanks in advance.

Kieran

Hi. If you look at ANZSCO code 254499 - Registered Nurse nec - that's not elsewhere classified - she should be fine. Try using http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ed-nurses-nec/. To be honest, the quickest way to get residence will be if she gets a job offer. Nurses who have registration for NZ (I imagine you are right about the Austrailian registration but I don't know for sure) and a minimum of 2 years' experience post-registration are often able to get jobs. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. If you look at ANZSCO code 254499 - Registered Nurse nec - that's not elsewhere classified - she should be fine. Try using http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ed-nurses-nec/. To be honest, the quickest way to get residence will be if she gets a job offer. Nurses who have registration for NZ (I imagine you are right about the Austrailian registration but I don't know for sure) and a minimum of 2 years' experience post-registration are often able to get jobs. Good luck.
    I had forgotten to reply to you, my apologies. Thanks a lot for this information, it's good news!