Thread: Working holiday visa - how soon to apply?

Lightbulb Working holiday visa - how soon to apply?

Hi! My name is Kira, and I am looking to move to Wellington from NYC in January 2015. I know that I am eligible for the Working Holiday Scheme which lasts 12 months. I obviously do not want to apply too early so I can take advantage of the full 12 months. HOWEVER, I have been reading that there are only a certain amount of these visas that are given each year, so do I need to apply ASAP? I'm a little confused about the logistics, and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi. The USA Scheme is not limited in number. Once you apply, you have 12 months in which to first arrive in NZ to activate your visa. The 12 months starts when you get there. The UKWHV usually takes about 5 days to come through and is electronic - you have to print it off and keep the letter with your passport. So, you can go online, register with the INZ website and then login and apply whenever you are ready. Have a great time!

Just some anecdotal information: I'm an American and initially arrived in NZ on the three month visitor visa on arrival. I applied for my WHV within a month of being here, and it was approved only a few days later. I submitted everything electronically.

Wonderful! I was skeptical that the visa process was this simple, but that's wonderful to hear.

That's great. Thank you so much!