Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we jump

Default Do we jump

Hi All, My hubby has the opportunity of a job in Christchurch as a truck driver, we have thought about moving for a few years now but when the chance has come we are stressing, everything happened so quickly and now we are in the middle phase waiting and panicking. My hubby is 43 and I am 53, I think we are both scared as we are older and it would be harder starting again if we have to return to the UK, any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Having visited New Zealand a couple of times previously, we were both over 50 when we decided to move. Now after having been here for fours years we can't believe it took us so long to make the move.

Good luck!

I'd give Christchurch a wide berth for the next ten years or so; it's a ****hole if you'll excuse my French.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I'd give Christchurch a wide berth for the next ten years or so; it's a ****hole if you'll excuse my French.
    Is that because of the rebuild, it would be difficult to avoid to start with as that is where the job offer is, once there could look for something elsewhere, we have a cousin in Nelson but unfortunately as only got a work visa we need to go where the work is to find the accredited employer for the work to residence.

Did you have a trade that was req, we are just coming on a work visa so need to get an accredited employer to then progress to work to residency. At the moment the job would be in Christchurch.

The rebuild and the earthquake. The city centre is pretty much derelict with half the roads closed. We are four years in now and no real signs of improvement. The earthquakes have caused huge population movement and the roads simply don't cope. Christchurch was a city where people lived and worked and commuters were a minority. Now most people live in satellite towns such as Rangiora and Kaiapoi and drive into town. My 40 minute commute from the north is regularly an hour and a half now, all in heavy traffic.

Really just information to help in your decision making.

My 40 minute commute from the north is regularly an hour and a half now, all in heavy traffic.

Which rates very poorly to other major cities around the world. City and street layouts in Christchurch are not efficient at all (lack of gridded streets THROUGHOUT; not just in the city centre). Those in the North are stuck going down Papanui Rd. Those on the East are stuck going down Ferry Road. Those on the West have Blenheim Road. Those on the South West have Halswell -> Lincoln Road. All of these streets go diagonal towards city centre.

Consider buying a house in a closer location. The impact of the traffic flows will not change for decades to come.

NZ has the dubious honour of having all three of its major cities in the top 50 most congested in the world (figures from TomTom) which considering how small they are and what other places around the world they are up against is pretty (un)impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    NZ has the dubious honour of having all three of its major cities in the top 50 most congested in the world (figures from TomTom) which considering how small they are and what other places around the world they are up against is pretty (un)impressive.
    That's interesting to know, I suppose there are issues around any new area, but what about the politics and the hand out situation, is it along the lines of UK, if you work you get treated like second class compared to all the spongers. We are not looking for an easy ride, we appreciate it will be tough for a while but the way the UK is going we can't ever see an improvement happening. If we are doing this move it has to be know due to age on my part.

Hi Sylvia 0285
    my hubby and I came out in Feb 2013 (from UK) the rollercoaster ride beforehand was extremely stressful because, THB I don't think I really wanted to jump. My OH had always wanted to emigrate, but not me. In the end, because of our age, we decided this was out last chance and I knew I would regret it if I just didn't give it a go. Yes, I did think that it would cost a fortune to get here (and it did) and if I wanted to go back to UK would cost even more (which it will) but I also didn't want to ever regret having a go. We decided we would jump and if it didn't work out we would go back to UK and treat it as a long holiday, yes, very expensive one, but hey filled with lots of experiences. We're on a LTBV and only part way through the process, we will be able to apply for our Permanent Residency next year, and we are hoping we will be accepted, but there is no guarantee, so again a bit of another rollercoaster emotionally. Having said all that, I am so glad I did it, it's certainly not an easy journey but this place is fabulous, gorgeous, the people are friendly and pleasant and respectful and it is such a refreshing change from how UK has become (in our eyes anyway). Yes we miss our family and friends, but to be honest not much else. It is a different way of life here, not the same choice in the supermarkets but that's not always a bad thing. We are from Lancashire but now live in the North Shore of Auckland and I would say prices of houses/food etc are probably comparable to London but the outdoor lifestyle is fantastic, beautiful beaches on the doorstep, fantastic landscape scenery at every corner. I haven't been to Christchurch so can't comment but listening to others I believe it is quite depressing, but that can be expected after what it's been through. Just wanted to give my view seeing as we are also from UK, I know what you're going through and hoped that I could perhaps give a little insight from my own experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast