Thread: Essential Skills Work Visa Experience/Qualifications

Default Essential Skills Work Visa Experience/Qualifications

Hi, I've been visiting the site for the past several months as I've pursued a NZ job offer and found all your advice so incredibly helpful and encouraging. So...

I just received a job offer and am gathering all the documentation to submit with it as part of my Essential Skills Temporary Work permit. I have a couple of questions regarding the Work Experience/Qualifications section that I haven't been able to find exact answers to here. Any help much appreciated.

1) I, obviously, do not want my current employer to know about my job offer and NZ intentions until I have a visa in hand. Section E1 of the application asks for your current employment info and I just want to confirm that immigration will not be contacting them to verify my employment. I assume they won't, but can anybody verify this?

2) I work in marketing and, therefore, don't have any advanced degrees or anything that necessarily "qualify" me beyond my college BA degree. Wondering then the level of support documents I need. Will a copy of my college transcript suffice?

3) For an Essential Skills Temporary Work Visa, trying to figure out what level of previous employment supporting documents I need to include? Do you HAVE to include paystubs, etc? And, if so, going how far back in your career?

4) For reference letters from previous employers, do they have to come from your direct supervisors or can they be from other senior people in the firm?

5) Anybody have any examples of reference letters that support an Essential Skills claim or advice on what they should contain?

Apologies for the extra long post, just very excited and nervous and want to make sure I do this all right.

Once again, thank you in advance for any help and all the informative advice on the site.

Thanks!

Hi from my husband's case... I helped him gather the necessary documents. We just completed all that is stated on the checklist for essential skills work visa. (I do not know if the checklist varies we are from the Philippines).

1. Yes, we gave them the current employment information. The visa officer did call my husband's employer that is relevant only to the job offered in NZ. My husband has been offered to work in a dairy farm so the visa officer called the farm he's been working with in the Philippines.
    2. Yes, we gave them also the college transcripts and other seminars/further studies he attended that is relevant to the job offered in NZ.
    3. We gave them the paystubs, etc but only for the last 6 months.
    4. We did gave them the direct supervisors and CEO/Owner of the farm.
    5. The reference letter only states that he has been employed with them for this times and that he is a good employee, hardworking etc.

Those are only our experiences in compiling the necessary documents he lodged his application July 9, 2013 and got his approved visa July 27, 2013. If you just completed what they will ask of you I think the process is quite fast. But on my case got stuck on Medical Assessor, so it's been 6 months and no news yet if they will approve my visa...

Here is a link you can download the checklist: https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&r...GnE9nuYxtArxtw

Hope this helps!

Taryn

Thank you Taryn!

Very helpful. I am in the US but don't think there is probably much difference in the requirements for this.

Not sure how to handle the issue of them possibly calling my current employer. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience where they have a job offer but need to wait until their visa clears before telling their current employer.

Thanks again!

Glad to be of help! Goodluck with your application!!!

Hi Sprint Veloce, I am currently here in NZ in an Essential Skills visa, I processed my own visa without any help from an agent. regarding the issue with you not wanting for your current employer to know that you are having a job offer for an NZ company, I am not really very sure if immigration will contact them or not. What is important is you have a legitimate document that you are currently employed with the same line of work that you will be working in NZ.

For reference letters, these need only be "certificates of Service." i.e you were employed from x (date) to y(date) in the fole of xxxx, and can be from anyone who has access to companies records, or eho knows you.