Thread: Finding a proper job in IT with Working Holiday Visa

Default Finding a proper job in IT with Working Holiday Visa

Hello,

I wanted to get some opinions on how my chances would be to find a proper job in IT, arriving in New Zealand with a 1y working holiday visa. I have a masters degree in computer science, about 2 years of experience in Java development, do mobile app development as a hobby, and also speak French Spanish and Dutch.
    As I understand, with a working holiday visa you only get to work a maximum of 4 months for the same company?
    Can I get a serious job or will I be stuck plucking fruits and waiting tables?

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks

Wim

try my company's job listing.
    http://jobs.fiserv.co.nz/jobs/

if you are the right person, they are willing to help with your visa situation.

I think you would be in with a good chance. Java developers are one of the most highly prized sub-species of IT professional in NZ. It will be down to a good CV and a good friendly positive personal interaction at either interview or when "cold calling" on the doors of likely employers. Once you have made 5 posts you can send private Messages. If you send me a Private Message I will give you my email address and I can then arrange to look at your CV and pass it on to contacts in IT recruitment in NZ. I do not charge for this service ta present - but I only send on CVs if I believe the person has a good chance or I ruin my "reputation" with my contacts! Cheers. Karen

As I understand, with a working holiday visa you only get to work a maximum of 4 months for the same company?
    Can I get a serious job or will I be stuck plucking fruits and waiting tables?
    What happens for many well-qualified people is that, since the WHV is an open work visa entitling them to take any job (temporarily), a company will take them on, see if it looks as if they are going to fit in, then, if so, make them the offer of a permanent job. Once that offer is in place, they can then move on to a temporary work visa of some kind. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/