Thread: Buying a Spa - Worth it? Cost to run?

Default Buying a Spa - Worth it? Cost to run?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a spa but just wondering if anyone here owns one or has bought one? I'm wondering about the pros and cons and of course the $ to run and maintain. I did a search but only found a comment from someone back in 2006 so some updated advice would be great.

Thanks!

Our neighbour has a spa and all last year, I can not recall them ever using it once. Personally I like spas and have friends back in Canada that use them all the time. However in NZ, the biggest concern with spas is cost of running and maintaining them. In Canada (BC), power is 7.52 cents/kW/Hr. In Chch, you're looking about 30 cents/kW/Hr. So when you're talking over 4 times the cost, I can see why my neighbour rarely use theirs. The hot water heatpumps used would draw the maximum load of about 4kWs/hr. + 1kW/hr for the water pump and various lighting, roughly $1.50 per hour. Run that 10 hours in the day and you're at $15 for some water fun. As a comparison, you might get more value going to a swimming park.

My wife is interested in a spa and we've recently had some work done on the house / garden in preparation for a spa. So I'll be interest in any pros and cons too.

Hi there. We just bought a four person inflatable Spa. I was pleasantly surprised by quality and sturdiness. We went down this route just incase we do another country hop (not planning too but imagine how much space a proper Spa would take up). It cost us $1200 and you can buy extras for it such as drink holders etc... We set it up in the garage for a couple I'd days just to make sure everything was running ok. Not set it up outside yet, mind you we should have the rain would have filled it up in no time :-)

Yes, I afree, I think it is worth buying

I believe you can rent them. That way you can see how much you would really use it, and the cost of running before buying one.

My friend has one that she uses a lot. When I asked her she said she hasn't noticed that much difference in her power bill. She did say that it took awhile to first fill and heat it to the correct temperature and that was when her power bill went up. Now she has it up and running she says its fine. I'll try find out a bit more when I see her next.

I would never jump in that chemical broth, unless I could hook it up to solar power. That enables you to change water frequently without breaking the bank. I prefer sauna anyways.