Thread: space saver vacuum bags

Default space saver vacuum bags

Just wondered if you are allowed to pack clothes into those space saver vacuum bags for the container. You know the sort i mean, you put duvets etc in seal them up then suck the air out with your vac so they reduce in size.

If they are allowed in the container, might put some on my xmas list for santa to bring!

Good idea, would also protect the clothes from the damp.

I was thinking of using them in my luggage, then realised the terrible scenes if they searched my bags! Then scurrying around the airport trying to find a vacuum!

I am certain that somebody from the forum did in fact use these ealier this year. We have some clothes packed in them in readiness, but I have noticed that they do let air back in vveerryy ssllowwllyy. It may just be that ours are cheap and chearfull ones. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Default Vac bags

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    I am certain that somebody from the forum did in fact use these ealier this year. We have some clothes packed in them in readiness, but I have noticed that they do let air back in vveerryy ssllowwllyy. It may just be that ours are cheap and chearfull ones. Ya gets what ya pays for.
    funny you should say that - I used one monday night, to pack the duvet in and by last night its got a bit bigger, I thought about selotapeing it down??

But if you box them up before they expand will they stay shrunk or burst the box?? I'll have 4 in a box by the weekend so I'll let you know how the experiment goes ?......

Ours were packed months ago, and have really only let a small amount of air in. They certainly would not explode .

It's like the stay puft man off ghostbusters! Although the explosion might be slightly less dramatic!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Ours were packed months ago, and have really only let a small amount of air in. They certainly would not explode .

Ahhh now your spoiling my fun - I thought I was going to have something exciting to look forward to at the end of all this packing - I was going to sit at my MIL's with the box in a corner, read a book!!!! (Oh I cant wait to just sit and relax!) ....and wait for the "big bang"

either that or lay in bed all sunday, with my 30"LCD tv set up with the Suround sound DVD player and have a Vin Diesel fest.....xxx. bitch black and then Chronicles of Riddick.....ahhhh Bliss, (while OH is at work of course!! )

exploding duvets in airports. made me laugh my slippers off.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Good idea, would also protect the clothes from the damp.

I was thinking of using them in my luggage, then realised the terrible scenes if they searched my bags! Then scurrying around the airport trying to find a vacuum!
    :
    I'm seeing this happening, and the thought of it is as funny as hell

Only problem with them is that if you are using them for the container, although they keep damp out, they will also keep condensation in and you may end up with mouldy clothes, unless you get silica gel (or someone said tea bags work quite well??) to put inside first.

We had one set of stuff in a carrier bag on the boat, I had forgotten about until we unpacked, and it was all damp and smelly!

but if you are just using them in cases for the flight, great idea!