Thread: "permanent emigration withdrawal"

Default "permanent emigration withdrawal"

Hello,

I now live outside of NZ but have a Permanent Resident Visa with an 'indefinite' expiry date.

I have no immediate plans to return to NZ. I have not been a tax resident of NZ since 2008. However, I would like to maintain the option of returning to NZ.

I have a retirement account in NZ. (It is an "SSRS" account, but my question would be the same for 'kiwisaver' accounts.)

I would like to take my NZ retirement account funds out of NZ. (I am under 45 years old.) To do this, I have to indicate to the bank that manages the account that I would like a "permanent emigration withdrawal".

My question: If I make a "permanent emigration withdrawal", will I be threatening my Permanent Resident Visa and my option to return to NZ?

I think the answer is probably 'no', because I have an 'indefinite' visa -- but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

This is by no means an official answer, just personal thoughts.

At the moment, there is no mechanism for ending a PR visa even if the person is now living away from NZ, unless the holder has committed some serious crime. Every so often, a rumour goes round that the rules are going to be changed, but that's all it is, a rumour. The matter hasn't even been under official discussion. This is, after all, NZ law, and it would take a decision by the government to bring in any change.

As things are at present, I don't *think* anything you say to the bank would be/should be automatically passed on to INZ, either.