Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speeding ticket

Default speeding ticket

Hi guys, may seem like a daft question but i was pulled over in new zealand whilst borrowing a friends car for speeding 118kmh in a 100kmh oops. what i did not realise was that my friends car had no WOF or REGO and was fined by the police for both. i recently placed and EOI and forgot to state this as its not listed under the section were it states traffic convictions as it mentions drink and dangerous driving and i had completely forgotton about the incident until recently.

Should i correct this on my ITA before i submit it. or will doing so affect my application. slightly worried now.

what are the chances of this affecting the character section of my application will this make my application be turned down ?

thanks in advance

You should most definitely tell INZ about this conviction. You may get told you need to ask for a character waiver because of it, but that's a much slighter matter than what COULD happen if INZ find out and you haven't mentioned it - the application could be refused on the grounds that you had not been honest/had tried to hide the facts. If you once get a refusal on those grounds, you're unlikely to get granted other visas, ever, and not only for NZ.

..and the offence itself is very unlikely to have an impact - so honesty is definitely the best policy here!

thanks for the advice guys much appreciated and i will add this in in due course better safe than sorry.

how detailed do i need to be as it was a long time ago and its a bit fuzzy.

if anybody else out there is having any thoughts on a similar situation i found this page on NZ immigration you may find helpful it gives a list of "Applicants normally ineligible for a residence class visa unless granted a character waiver"

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35058.htm

thanks again any other advice would be appreciated

I would say, get this info in, added to your application, as soon as possible.

In the first instance, just give the bare details you have in your first post on the thread. Tell them what the date was, as this is going to be on record somewhere and they could look it up. You don't need to apply for a character waiver unless they tell you to, and it's at that time that you'd need to go into more detail about your regret for not checking the legal state of the car, your heavy right foot, etc..

Hi Guys,

please could you make things clear for me:
    Do you have to tell INZ if you get a speedy ticket? or was the all things more about the no Wof no registration of the car?

You have to declare any and all conviction(s). This link http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35058.htm shows what is going to involve more action including possibly the need for a character waiver. But it's up to INZ to look at the full picture, which you're obliged to give them, and decide what is or is not relevant.

I got a camera issued speeding ticket and advised them when applying for my PR. No issue!

Hi there,

My husband and I are applying for work visas and this has come up for us too. My husband got a speeding ticket when we lived in NZ a few years ago (camera issued, $30 fine but no demerit points). On his form there are checkboxes for convicted, charged and under investigation. Does he need to tick the boxes for charged and convicted or just convicted? There is a box at the bottom where he can put more detail but we were just unsure what boxes to tick. He was only caught doing 56 in a 50 zone (they reduced the leeway from 10 to 5 over christmas) so it shouldn't be a problem but we want to make sure we fill the forms in correctly.

Thanks,

Gemma

these are not "convictions", , but rather "infringements",so strictly speaking you do not need to declare them. It would be wise though simply to include a statement on your EOI, (after answering NO to convictions, arrests, charges etc) something like "paid traffic infringements only.")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast