Thread: How long does the job application process take?

Default How long does the job application process take?

Hi all,

My wife and I have recently been approved for our residency visas and we're looking at moving in October this year.

My question is when should I start applying for jobs with this moving date in mind?

Sorry if it seems silly but it's over ten years since I last applied for a job.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

Rhys

Hi. I would start ensuring your CV is right up to date, includes the info about your visa status, spells out when and where in NZ you will be based and exactly what type of job you want. Then start applying at the beginning of August. Many professional jobs in NZ expect people to have to give 2 months' notice. However, there are quite a few employers out there who won't consider you until you land on NZ soil! Good luck!

I'd start applying now!
    If you or your wife have skills which are really needed here employers will do Skype interviews and wait if they have to (and if you're lucky help with the relocation ).
    My partner was offered his job in April, but he didn't actually start until October. We didn't have a visa in place, hence part of the delay so you're in a great position. As Karen mentioned, make sure the fact that you have resident visas is known!

People usually give month notice here, so given say 2 weeks to assess received CVs, I'd also say August would be a good time to apply...which is only a few weeks away to be fair
    Otherwise, get your CV up-to-date in a NZ format, join LinkedIn and get linked up to people in your industry.
    Once you start sending CVs out and contacting recruitment agencies in your field you'll start to get a feel as to how buoyant the market is and how to best market yourself.
    Also check out jobs on seek.co.nz for an idea of the competencies and skills required in your field and a list of potential employers.
    Good luck

Many thanks both.

I think my CV is up to date. I've put on the fact that I have NZ resident visa. I think all I have to do is convert the CV into NZ currency.

The Auckland market for Accountants looks quite good. The Hawkes Bay market looks non existent. Fingers crossed it picks up!

Thanks again!

It might be an idea to check the various online sources that show you normal-for-NZ formats for a CV - it's not always only a question of being up-to-date, but also involves not standing out from other applications in a way that makes you look as if you're not aware of the NZ background. All the best.

Hi Rhys,

The above posters are definitely correct that a CV would really help , especially if its sharp and complies with what NZ employers expect. Any deviation from this, and it could pose questions about your suitability for the role.

It'd be good that you focus on the following
    -Clear profile
    -Easy to understand
    -Show your achievements
    -Easy to understand cover letter

I help people write CV's so let me know if you need help with that.