Thread: Partnership work visa or student visa for partner???

Red face Partnership work visa or student visa for partner???

Hi All,

I have currently applied Resident Visa under SMC. I have been married for at least 5 months now. My wife is currently studying and she has one more year to study. Her visa needs to be renewed next month.

Just wondering whether I apply her visa under partnership based work visa and she continues her studies or apply student visa (rather easy and quick process).

I can apply her partnership work visa by submitting all the necessary documents. However, I am quite juggled because I will be applying her resident visa early next year and provide all the documents. Therefore my question:

Is it better to apply her student visa now and then apply for resident visa under partnership once she becomes eligible? OR straight away apply for partnership work visa?

My thoughts: Apply student visa and finally resident visa RATHER than twice submitting partnership documents for work visa AND resident visa.

Your thoughts and experience will be valuable and much appreciated

Thanks much in Advance

Hi. I think she should renew her student visa for now and then when that is nearing expiry, you will be ready to get her residence visa. Keep gathering that evidence of partnership! (I say this because she can only study for a maximum of 6 months on a partnership-based work visa.) The other option is that you get the Partnership-based work visa, arranges to postpone her studies for a few months and work, then once she has her residence, she could apply to complete her studies but be eligible to pay only the domestic fee. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. I think she should renew her student visa for now and then when that is nearing expiry, you will be ready to get her residence visa. Keep gathering that evidence of partnership! (I say this because she can only study for a maximum of 6 months on a partnership-based work visa.) The other option is that you get the Partnership-based work visa, arranges to postpone her studies for a few months and work, then once she has her residence, she could apply to complete her studies but be eligible to pay only the domestic fee. Just a thought!
    Thank you so much for your guidance Karen. I would rather apply for student visa to avoid sending partnership documents twice. I would perhaps prove all the necessary documents including legitimacy of the couple when applying her residency. Another quick question; I have applied my residency under SMC. Do INZ check salary per annum regardless the amount of hours worked? Because I earn $43k annualy and I work variable 45-50 hours.

I hope that was clear and your guidance would prepare me if any questions raises from INZ.

Thank you

It can depend a little on the case officer, but there is usually no need to send partnership documents twice.
    With the second application, provided the original evidence is satisfactory for a residence application, all you need to prove is that the partnership has not changed since the earlier application.

So far as salary is concerned, INZ will want to know that your salary, based on a 40 hour week, is within the range for that occupation.