Hi,

My partner is trying to get a job in Auckland having worked in Christchurch for over 2 years on a Canterbury-specific work visa. He wants to move up here to be with me (I have permanent residency) but is struggling to find a job as his visa is not valid outside Canterbury. Employers and agencies just don't even want to even talk to him once they hear his visa is not valid for working in Auckland (he works as a construction foreman), it seems to be the first question they ask. I understood this when we were in the UK but he now has 3 years NZ experience so not such a risk for an employer as recruiting someone from overseas - but the same difficulty getting a job for him!

I don't meet the character requirements to support a partnership application, having come over here 3 years ago as a non-principal applicant on a family members application. Has anyone had any success getting a general work visa after coming here on the Canterbury-specific one?

The easy answer would be for me to move to Christchurch to be with him but that's not what I want to do! We are having a baby and I want to either bring it up here in Auckland, where my house, job and friends are, or we will have to consider moving back home to the UK.

Any tips and advice appreciated - thanks!