Thread: Character Waiver

Default Character Waiver

Hello everybody,
    I got a reply from my Co yesterday and he told me that in few days character waiver assesment of my supporting partner (he was imprisoned) will start. Now I am not sure what all I need to send to him. until now I was just writing a letter myself and my partner will also write one...However, i heard about supporting letters? that will be difficult for us two because there is not too much time left to get them in time. Anyone experience with character waiver, what did you send to your officer or any helpful advices what i could do?
    thank you very much

you should, if you haven't already, provide information regarding the following :

b.An immigration officer must consider the surrounding circumstances of the application to decide whether or not they are compelling enough to justify waiving the good character requirement. The circumstances include but are not limited to the following factors as appropriate:i.if applicable, the seriousness of the offence (generally indicated by the term of imprisonment or size of the fine);
    ii.whether there is more than one offence;
    iii.if applicable, the significance of the false, misleading or forged information provided, or information withheld, and whether the applicant is able to supply a reasonable and credible explanation or other evidence indicating that in supplying or withholding such information they did not intend to deceive INZ;
    iv.how long ago the relevant event occurred;
    v.whether the applicant has any immediate family lawfully and permanently in New Zealand;
    vi.whether the applicant has some strong emotional or physical tie to New Zealand;
    vii.whether the applicant's potential contribution to New Zealand will be significant.

What has usually happened (as you've perhaps seen on the old threads on this site) is that he needs to come clean to INZ (as in, list what there is, frankly) about what does come up in the police check. Either with the application in a cover letter, or when the CO asks for his comments, he needs to give the background to the incidents in question. This is often a matter of saying (in a lot more words and detail), 'I was younger then, and stupid not to stand up to what the crowd were doing, and of course I can see now this was a big mistake, as you can tell from the way my life has turned around since.' He needs to be humble and apologetic. He will need to say in what way he is now different. He will need to find people who know him now, who have some standing in the community, to give him a character reference.

And then you hope for the best.