Thread: Work Visa or Partnership Visa?

Default Work Visa or Partnership Visa?

Hi,

I am currently in New Zealand with my partner of 4 years. We are both from the UK. He has recently been transferred from a working holiday visa onto a temporary work visa of 12 months with his company as assistant manager.
    I am working for a company on a casual basis and have been for the last few months - they seem very keen to keep me on as there are some structural changes within the company that I would fit in with. Neither me nor my partner are on the "skills shortage" lists. My question is, in others experience - would it be easier for me to try and go through getting my own independent work visa through my job? Or would I be more likely to get it granted if I apply for it through partnership of his work visa.

We have supporting evidence of us having lived together for the last 2 years, as well as unofficial evidence from a year prior to that.

Also - if I was to apply for a work visa, and it was turned down, would that affect my chances of being granted one under the partnership, or vice versa?

I am only just in my second year of my 23 month work visa, but can only work for 6 months, and would like to feel more secure about my position.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Louise

As your partner has a temporary work visa, with the proof of partnership you say you already have, you would be eligible for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa to run for the same length of time as his.

With you doing casual work in a non-skilled role, there is no guarantee at all that you could get a work visa in your own right. It would depend on the employer showing that there were no NZers available to do the job, and that they'd tried advertising for them, and why anyone who answered wasn't as suitable as you.

One is a good probability, two is pretty unlikely and difficult.

Applications that are refused because a person doesn't meet the regulations at that time don't affect later applications - after all people's circumstances change so that later, they DO meet the regulations. It's fraudulent applications, or visas revoked for a criminal reason, that affect anything that comes after.