Thread: Silver Fern Visa extension - Temp Work Visa

Default Silver Fern Visa extension - Temp Work Visa

Hi

I came NZ on a Silver fern job search visa in January 2014 . I am on a 3 month contract role, as a software tester.My Silver fern visa is expiring on 30 Sep 2014 and the work contract also ends on the same date but there seems to be a possible extension . It is not sure how long the contract can be extended at this point ?

1.How soon will I get the temp work visa , so that I can workout and get the extended contract from my employer and apply beforehand?
    2.Is there any possibility to apply for a resident visa,in case if i get a 12 month or 24 month contract from the employer ?
    3. What are the other Visa options do i have with this 3 month contract offer?

Suggestions please?

Regards
    Vignesh

Hi Vignesh. You won't be able to get the Silver Fern Practical Experience visa unless you can get a contract for at least 12 months. You won't be able to apply for residence without a permanent job offer unless you can supply a long history of renewed contracts - and I don't think this applies to your situation. However, you should be able to get an Essential Skills Work Visa for as long as the contract. These take about 4 weeks to be approved if all else is okay and if you meet the requirements for Long Term Skills Shortage List for your occupation, the employer won't have to prove there are no kiwis available. The cost of the visa is the same, regardless of the length, so the longer the contract the better. The cost in NZ is $270. You shouldn't need new police checks or medicals assuming you provided these when you applied for your Silver Fern. Good luck! Karen