Thread: Post study work visa employer assisted

Question Post study work visa employer assisted

Hi there,

I came to new zealand one and half years back on student visa. I studied Diploma in Information Tehchnology (Networking Technology Management) - Level 7 from private institution. My study is mainly on networking and it includes project management and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) subject. This two subjects belongs to Software Industries.

I already had 2 years of experience in software development so After finishing my study I got a job as a web developer in small company and I have been working since last 9 months. To extend my stay in New Zealand I am planning to apply for Post study work visa employer assisted but my study is mainly on networking and I am working as a web developer, is that create any problem for me now or in future?

Immigration says to get post study work visa your education and working duties should be match. I haven't study any software development subject so how can i relate my study and work in this case?

Please give me some ideas.

Regards,
    Modi

I hope someone who knows about IT will be along shortly with an opinion. Remember many of us are in different time zones, so you may have a bit of a wait.

Hopefully, the Case Officer will accept that IT is IT and that the various branches of it are less relevant. I would l think you have a good chance. make sure you and your employer are ready to argue the case positively and constructively if necessary. Stress the papers that you competed that are relevant to your job and also that you got this job in the first place because of your qualification.

INZ does not say that qualifications must match. Immigration Instructions say you need a "relevant qualification"
    Your qualification and job offer are both in IT. That's all you need to worry about.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. It's been really helpful for me. Chris, I am agree with your statement that I need relevant qualification for my visa. I got the job because I study networking and more on that I'm also managing my company's server, this task belongs to my study.

After getting my visa can I apply for residance under SMC?

As long as your job is recognized as skilled, you should be eligible for Residence under SMC.

yes J and M is correct. With a skilled job offer (and with substansial match between job and ANZSCO) you would only need 100 points to be selected. No real reason to claim any more, as that only complicates the application.