Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IELTS Requirement for Partner in Skilled Migrant Category

Default IELTS Requirement for Partner in Skilled Migrant Category

Hi,

I have a query regarding partner's english language ablitiy and requirement in case of skilled migration. I have already completed her IQA to claim qualification points. I am not clear about the minimum band requirement in IELTS for partner. Actually she already have scored overal 6 band in IELTS (General)

Secondly, my IELTS is 26 months old, is it possible to present it or if it has been expired by now?

To be able to claim her points to add into your overall score on the EOI, she needs to have the minimum required for a principle applicant, that is, an average of 6.5. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30542.htm

If your IELTS certificate does not have a 'valid until' date on it, it will continue to count despite the time that has passed. I asked INZ this question some time ago, and that was their answer. Unfortunately and illogically, some IELTS certificates are date limited, and some aren't. Good luck!

Hi Jawad,

Yes your partner needs IELTS minimum score of 5 or more band but as your partner already scored 6 band that is absolutely perfect i don't thing you will have any no issues with that (only thing you have to see when it expires because IELTS valid only for 2 years).

Can i please ask you who is the principle applicant here? You might have to give your IELTS exam again as it is 26 months old. But don't take any decision yet wait for INZ to reply you regarding your IELTS. Again if you really want your application to get processed in normal time frame with out any hold ups then go for it. Its your call.

Hope this helps you

All the best

Thanks JandM and Pradnz.

My partner is not principle applicant. I am only claiming points against her education after complete assessment through NZQA (IQA).

I will appear again in IELTS as it is already expired; I agree 'pradnz' just to avoid any hold ups it's better to submit a valid copy.

Actually I'm not very clear about my spouse (dependant) IELTS requirement. Whether it's overall band 6.5 or at least 5?

I know your partner is not the principle applicant. That link I gave you above, however, states the following.
    A partner's skilled employment in New Zealand (see SM10) or recognised qualifications (see SM17), only qualify for points if the partner meets the English language requirements for principal applicants (see SM5.5).

for your partner at least IELTS overall band 5 and for principle applicant overall band 6.5

So, if you were NOT claiming points for her education, she would need an IELTS minimum average score of 5, to avoid having to pre-pay for ESOL classes. But since you ARE claiming points, she needs the same IELTS minimum average as you, or any other principle applicant, which is 6.5.

I totally agree with JandM she is absolutely right.

As in my case I am the principle applicant and my wife is dependent where i haven't claimed any points to her qualification although she got Bachelor of Dentistry. But my CO asked her to produce IELTS certificate with average score of 5 or more or else we have to pre-pay for ESOL classes around $6000 i don't know the exact figure. She gave IELTS exam again because her IELTS is expired when our EOI was lodged.

Hope this helps

All the best

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

It is really hepful

Cheers

How positive are the chances to get through if I only present english proof as 'Study for a recognised qualification conducted entirely in English'?

Really appreciate your response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast