Thread: Partnership Visa Issues

Default Partnership Visa Issues

Hey folks,

Coming in here with rather a somber mood.

I moved to New Zealand in April 2013 on a Working Holiday Visa. I am a British National and so could work for 12 months while touring the country. I did that, and found work, and also came across my partner. As my visa was soon to expire we decided to make the relationship really last by applying for me to stay here with him. So we applied for the Work Partnership visa - which was half granted to me, I need to provide a little extra information so that they can be certain we are genuine and stable - but there's the problem.

Thing is, we started dating nearly from the moment I landed. It felt real and good and has been so for 12 months that we have lived together but I feel like a dependent on him, and it really affects my own sense of independence. Recently things have gotten really harsh with us - there has been cases of dishonesty that have devastated me continually and it feels like for my future in NZ, I need to stay with someone who in the long run, is going to really make me unhappy. He has the power to allow me to live here or not. It hurts. This isn't the life I had planned.

We love one another but in my heart I know we probably won't last. It's a heart-wrenching decision; I either give up on him and move back to my home country or I stay with him but continue to be hurt and essentially use him ... which I don't agree with.

As far as I am aware there are a couple visas available but I'm not a skilled Migrant. I'm your average joe, a hard working young person with a genuine interest in working and residing in New Zealand. I just landed a job with Housing New Zealand ... can my future possibly be determined through them? Or am I completely stuck? I'm sorry, it really seems like I have no way out or way forward.

I am not quite clear what visa you are on now. Did you extend your UK Working holiday Visa or are you now without a visa? If you are without a visa, there are complications - not insurmountable ones hopefully! If you are suitably qualified and experienced for the Housing New Zealand job, you may well be able to get a work visa. In fact, Housing New Zealand are accredited employers, so if it is a permanent job for at least 30 hours a week, you might be eligible for a Work to Residence: Talent - Accredited Employer Visa. I would need more information to give you more definite advice.

Hello Karen,

I am currently on a Work Partnership Visa for 6 months, down from 12 as they await extra information. I filled in all the forms and so did my partner but I got a letter back saying my visa has been accepted; for 6 months awaiting extra information.

So basically I came to NZ on a 12 month WHV, then I moved straight to a Partnership Work visa which is as I explained above.

Do you know what extra information they need and have you been able to supply it? If so, you might as well go for the extended partnership-based visa as it allows you to work in any occupation for any employer.

so a case officer might need to consider "is the relationship genuine and stable and likely to endure?" How would you yourself answer that question? Only need to answer the question for the moment, as with the best of intentions now, life can change in the future.

Samuel, I can only assume that they didn't feel you had been together long enough to issue a one year work visa initially. There are quite a few posts around at the minute about some of the difficulties in partnership visas - the interplay of power (even unwittingly) between the person who has the NZ visa and the one who wants one. I can see how that might create real pressure. If your relationship has fallen apart, then look at the job offer from Housing New Zealand. As I said, they are an accredited employer and this could be a route for you. If you believe your relationship is still alive and genuine and just struggling from the pressures of the visa situation, then apply now for your residence as a partner. This partnership option involves your partner in swearing an affidavit that the relationship is genuine etc. This is something you need to be sure about before you go through this route. If you want to send me information about your job offer (possibly by Private Message) I will see what options exist that way.