Thread: 5 years in update

Default 5 years in update

Well a lot has happened over the last five years so thought it was time for an update. Still loving being here and still not gone back to the UK for a holiday, maybe next year or there again maybe not. Still believe it was the best move we made.

Not been on here much as lots of ups and downs over the last 3 years with my husband being diagnosed with vascular dementia and me stopping work to look after him and watching him deteriorate to the point of him having to be taken into full time care and then going through the period of his death in mid May this year. As I said lots of ups and downs and even though it has been a bigger roller coaster than actually doing the move here we both wanted to stay and at no time did we think of heading back.

Now I am looking for work and trying to build my life again and yes in NZ and Tauranga in particular its not easy but getting there. Lovely people have supported me through all of this and are still supporting me by just being there for me if I need them and I couldn't have wished for more.

The health service could not have been more supportive either and once under their wing my OH and I were provided with a support service second to none and I say that having worked for the NHS for 20 years in the UK prior to coming over here and truth is its much better, well I think so anyway. Probably cos there are less people here and more time can be given over so there is never any rush to get you in the door and out. Yes doctors charge for each visit but there are schemes in place to alleviate the cost once your need is greater so no complaints on the financial front.

Even WINZ (work and income NZ) equivalent of social services and the dole, have been very supportive providing information easily and completely without having to give absolute information, I think I got a good case officer though which helps. Never had to use any of these services before in my lifetime so it was an experience for sure.

Anyway just wanted to update you and let you know that yes for us it is all worthwhile and my OH got his wish to be in his homeland at the end of his life.

If you are on the journey to travel and live anywhere else in the world other than your own country my advice would be to do it because you never want to come to the end of your life saying "I wish I had done ........."

PS: I have applied for my citizenship so waiting now for the confirmation the interview went well and it was indicated that I shouldn't have any problems so something to look forward to.

Oh my Catt, what a terrible thing to go through. I am so sorry .

Sorry to hear of your loss; please accept my condolences.

Oh, bless you... I lost my mother with the same illness earlier this year. Wishing you strength and comfort, and more of all the help and courage that have borne you up this far. ((()))

May I too send my condolences and admire you for carrying on. I too have found the health service to be very supportive in my own circumstances .
    I am sending you positive energy in your future life.

Take care

So sorry to hear of the loss. Please accept our condolences

I am very sorry to hear what you have been going through, amazing how positive you sound after all that.
    Stay strong and all the best for the next part of your life here.