Thread: Starting a life from scratch

Default Starting a life from scratch

Hello!
    I'm very glad to have found this forum that answers almost all NZ related queries.
    Please pardon my ignorance because my questions might seem funny.
    I'm a South African who have never been to NZ. I would like to permanently live and work in NZ, under which category should I apply?
    How helpful are immigration lawyers in Auckland if they assess on my behalf. They charge like $180.
    Can a visa be granted to me without having to visit NZ?
    I do not have a job offer nor do I have any friends/relatives in New Zealand.
    Please advise.

Thanks. :-)

Hello.

There's no set answer to give you about which sort of visa you should go for. You need to look at the different sorts, and consider how you could present your qualifications and work experience in a way that would fit in with the regulations for one of the kinds.

Probably the most common kinds to consider are http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm and http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/.

To help people to help you, you could tell us a little about yourself, for instance, 'I am (whatever) years old, have a bachelor's degree in X and have been working as (your job title) for (however many years).' We could then give you a better idea of anything that might, or might not, be available to you.

You do not necessarily need to consult an immigration lawyer, or even an adviser, if you don't want to. In general, people only need a lawyer if their case is very unusual or they have come up against some difficulty. All the information about the rules is available on the INZ website, and there are people here who will share their experience and help with explanations if you need them. You could look at that first.

You certainly can get a visa without ever having been in NZ. However, many visas are not available unless you have a job offer from a NZ employer, and it's very difficult to get such an offer without having been.

Hi JandM and thanks a million for the detailed response.

I'm 28 years old, married, father of 2 kids. I am a graphics designer, but have worked as sales representative, shop keeper, manager, etc.
    I see myself best suitable for Skilled Migrant Category. If I qualify, the visa would be issued by NZ embassy in South Africa?
    What if a lawyer helps me assess? Where would this visa then be issued?
    Thanks.

Hi. If you apply under Skilled Migrant Category, your application will be processed in London. You quoted $180 above for an immigration lawyer fee. I think this could be an hourly rate! However, whether you need an adviser or lawyer depends on your circumstances. Graphic Designers can come under "Identified Future Growth Area" - but you can only get the points for this if you have a job offer in NZ. Do you have a degree? If so is it on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment - see http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45795.htm. If you have a degree and it is not on this list, you will need to get your degree assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority - see http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/. Would you be heading to NZ with your partner as well as the children? If so, does your partner have a qualification? My guess from what you have told us so far is that you are going to need a job offer to get sufficient points to apply for residence under SMC (you need 140 points without a job offer and 100 points with a job offer. Since the job offer counts as 50 points, at 28, you would get 30 points for age, a few years of relevant work experience and/or a suitable qualification would make you eligible. Hope that takes you a little further.