Thread: Freight shipping costs port to port

Default Freight shipping costs port to port

Hello all,
    Does anyone have information (or web link) about the costs to ship a 40 foot container from Auckland back to the UK?
    I'm just after the freight rate. In other words what does it actually cost the removal companies to have the container transported between the two ports.
    I hope someone can help, as I'm in a bit of a fix.
    Many thanks,
    Graham

Graham

No info sorry, but I'm intrigued as to what you are filling the container with?

Deborah

I doubt the removal companies own the containers but rent them from the shipping lines (I had a shiny Mersk container) not a pickfords branded one.

In fact the container might not even go straight back to the UK, but travel the world on the seven seas, going to Sydney, San Fran, Hongkong, Shanghai .........

You could contact a shipping company and prented to be shipping your own container and ask for a quote.

Try Mearsk or P&O or Yang Ming (I don't know their URLs but I'm sure google will )
    they are three large shipping companye sI can think of the top of my head.

Deborah,
    It is full of all our worldly goods.

Graham

Miffy,
    Thanks for the idea, and names. I did try to ring P&O but they wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't a company. Not even to give me a rough idea, rather than an offical quote.

Graham

Thanks Graham

Tell me to buzz off for being nosey if you want, but are you intending to pack your gear, drive your stuff to the port, load it in a container, wave it off across the ocean and reverse it all at the other end, all by yourself?

Deborah

Quote Originally Posted by gmac
    Deborah,
    It is full of all our worldly goods.

Graham
    Like Smilier I too am being a 'bit' too nosey now, but I'm confused

are you in NZ already? (your location thing says essex)
    so are you planning on leaving NZ? thats a real shame
    or are you comparing prices UK - NZ with NZ - UK (blokes they need their states...)

Smiler, Miffy,

I don't mind you being a bit nosey, but forgive me if I'm a little brief on some detail, there is quite a lot of 'stuff' going on in our lives just now.
    We arrived in Auckland at the end of August on PR visas. All our stuff was packed up and shipped by one of the regular international removal companies. We didn't have jobs or homes lined up when we arrived. Since we arrived pretty much everything seems to have gone wrong for us and we have reached the point where we have 95% decided that we will return to the UK. Our container arrives in Auckland tomorrow and I was trying to get an idea how much it will cost to send it back. I'm expecting an immediate turn-around to be significantly cheaper than taking it all into storage and then deciding to send everything back in two weeks time.
    Yes, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out, and the whole exercise has caused fairly major financial and domestic 'damage', but hopefully we can salvage something of our lives once we are back in the UK.

Graham

Unhappy

Hi Graham

I so sorry to hear you have all these problems and that things have not worked out.
    Have you asked the shipping/removal company what the cost would be of a straight turnaround?
    Or does the shipping co still say they won't deal with you unless you're a company?

I hope whatever decision you make, works out for you all. I'm a 'bit' far away in Wellington so am not much practical help, but if you think of anything I can help with, pm me.

Deborah