Thread: Residency Declined

Default Residency Declined

Hello,
    My husband and I who are both from the UK have just had our residency declined under the SM5 act as they believe we were misleading and provided false information regarding my husbands 20 year old convictions. We answered Yes to every question that required that answer but for some reason didn't provide full explanations of the convictions - believing that the Police Certificates would explain all these. We have already had back to back work/partnership visas for nearly 2 years and are both in full time employment, paying taxes etc. Has anyone been in his situation and is there hope we could apply again and this time explain EVERYTHING or are our chances now ruined?
    Thank you so much for any advice/comments you may have.

Is sounds pretty harsh that INZ didn't further PPI you if they felt they didn't have enough information about the convictions. You would be better to start again and there is nothing preventing you from applying again, but will have to potentially grapple with "providing false or misleading information" in the next application. Professional Advise might be best.

Hi, I have been asked to provided information on my conviction - I was in your boat at the beginning if my application, I just thought the police certificate would explain my history.
    So I wrote a letter explaining my convictions, sent that in.

Now I got a email saying I have provided false and misleading information.

In my other visits to nz I did not declare my convictions as I thought I didn't have to as my convictions are deemed SPENT under the rehabilitation ACT 1974 British law

I now have to explain this to them - taking legal advise is what I have been advised

A word to anyone going overseas you MUST declare that you have convictions even if they where 50 years ago and taken off your record. I know this is not your case flo122.

I'm now facing possible deportation if they cancel my visa and it will have dire consequences on me ever obtaining a visa in nz or any other country.

Can I ask when your application was declined were you on you current visa or an intrim visa? Did you have to leave NZ right away?
    Thanks

So sorry to hear that guys, hope you both get something sorted asap.

Hey kevski
    Any updates

Kevski hasn't been on the forum since last October, so may not see your question.