Thread: Partnership Permanent Residence

Default Partnership Permanent Residence

My partner and I have been living together for over a year now and we have previously already applied for his work visa which was approved for a year as at that time we only lived together for 6 months. We have now put in our residency application.
    But we are very nervous.
    What are the processing times and what can we expect for our application.
    What is the process like?
    Please help

What office have you submitted your application to? You can Google "NZ immigration (whichever office) processing times" to get an idea of the average of how things are running.

However, every application is different. At least with a partner-sponsored visa, the ONLY thing you have to prove is the partnership, so that is the evidence that will have to be looked over by the CO. However, you have a reassuring precedent, in that they have already accepted (for the previous visa) that your partnership is genuine. It's just a case of their following up on the further evidence that you are still together. Keep collecting evidence while the application is processed, since it is very common for the CO to ask for more evidence just before the visa is issued - just checking that the partnership is STILL in place, after that extra bit of time.

Our application is still sitting in the northern region documentation Centre. We have submitted heaps of photos, our old and new rental agreement, joint bank account statements, letters addressed to us and also individual letters, letters from friends, letters written by the both of us a out our relationship and receipts for purchases we have made for our house.
    Does this seem like a good amount of evidence?

It sounds good. All the best.

I agree with JandM. It isn't always the amount of evidence, sometimes, they need an extra bit and they often need an update if the processing time drags on. I have been getting them through in about 2 months in London - but I know the onshore offices are very busy at present, so be patient. Just keep filing that new evidence away so you can supply it if necessary. Good luck!

Thank you very much.
    Would you have anymore information regarding interview processes?

They don't always interview people in your situation - as mentioned before, they have already accepted that you have a genuine partnership.

Interviews in partnership cases are aimed at proving just that, given that this class of visa is the one most often targeted by fraudsters paying somebody to lie for them. The questions then, asked separately, are about e.g. the partner's likes, dislikes, the domestic routine, the history of the relationship, things about the other partner's background and family - easy for genuine partners but likely to catch out fakers. In cases where the officials still have doubt although there seems to be a lot of evidence, they have been known to make an unannounced home visit, to see that the couple really are living where and how they say they are.

I repeat, IF they interview you, which quite possibly they won't, it is not likely to be anything daunting.

and don't forget to ensure you have a valid temporary visa at all times. if you current work visa is about to expire, then you should be lodging another work visa application, before its expiry date. (or once you have a case officer, push for a residence decision before current visa expires.