Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IPENZ letter: Urgent advise needed

Question IPENZ letter: Urgent advise needed

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post here. I have been following this forum ever since I started my application process for permanent residence under SMC.
    As per the INZ requirement prior to my submission of application, I have applied for IQA from NZQA and the outcomes are generic:
    1) Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) from Anna University, Chennai, India has been compared to a bachelor's degree at level 7 (480 Credits)
    2) Master of Engineering (Mechanical) from Lamar University, Texas, USA has been compared to a master's degree at level 9 (180 credits).
    I have worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer (Heating Ventilation & Air-Conditioning) for close to 5 years in USA (Feb 2008-November 2012).

Lodged application for residence in March 2014 with 140 points. Had a INZ telephonic interview on May 30 2014 and after 45 days from the Interview with my case officer, I received an email from her, requesting for a letter from IPENZ stating that I am eligible for CPEng registration with my qualifications (to claim bonus points for qualification and exp. in Area of Absolute Skill Shortage/LTSSL)

Now, can anyone please advise me on how I should proceed in this situation and weather it is worthy to pay NZ$ 220.5 for step1 of their assessment and may be around $1200 for the second step of assessment. Moreover, I am not sure if both my B.E and M.E are Washington Accord recognized. What are my chances?? I am in a fix now as i have spent a good amount until now to get till here. Also isn't it a li'l strange about the CO requesting the letter after the interview?
    I sincerely request your inputs/advise on how to go about now.

Thanks in advance

Doing a search here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templates/custom/SearchskillshortagesPopup.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NR NODEGUID={3B3850BF-FB16-43DF-9CCD-FE0342BFB73C}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fmigrant%2fstream%2f work%2fskilledmigrant%2fLinkAdministration%2fToolb oxLinks%2fessentialskills.htm%3flevel%3d1&NRCACHEH INT=Guest&level=1 for Mechanical Engineer, I've found the Engineering section, where the requirements in the last two columns (for LTSSL, and for bonus point for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage) are as follows.

One of the following qualifications: - A relevant Washington Accord accredited undergraduate engineering degree (listed) - A relevant qualification comparable to: (a) a Bachelor of Engineering (NZQF Level 7), or (b) a Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8) - A relevant qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meets the academic requirements for registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer in New Zealand OR NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand.
    Here http://www.ieagreements.org/Washington-Accord/FAQ.cfm is how to proceed to find out if your degree(s) are or are not Washington Accord recognized. As you'll see from the requirements above, if they're not, the only way to be in a position to claim the points you did is to get the IPENZ letter, since both your degrees have turned out to have a generic outcome. That simply means that their content doesn't have close equivalence to any existing NZ degree. And that is why INZ, who aren't expected to know about the ins and outs of all professions, want evidence from the engineering experts to say that your qualifications would indeed be valuable and useful in the NZ context.

You can't get past this point without EITHER showing Washington Accord recognition, OR supplying support from IPENZ. If you want to get to live and work in NZ, and not waste the effort you've put in already, you have to take this next step - up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I agree that it seems rather odd that the CO didn't raise this till this late stage - maybe she only then noticed that your IQAs were giving generic results. However, annoying though it must be, when a CO says, 'Send x,' you have to send it.

Good luck.

Thanks JandM for your valuable reply. I have sent my documents to IPENZ for the Step 1 assessment. I looked out for my for both my degrees if they were Washington Accord recognized or not and it turned out to be negative. So I believe I need to go for step 2 of IPENZ assessment as well.
    Also what if in the worst case, I cannot claim the bonus points (10 I believe)? My total points will come down to 130. What happens in this scenario? Since the Interview is also over, there is no point of my EOI going back to the pool? (Correct me if i'm wrong). Have you come across a case like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Doing a search here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templates/custom/SearchskillshortagesPopup.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NR NODEGUID={3B3850BF-FB16-43DF-9CCD-FE0342BFB73C}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fmigrant%2fstream%2f work%2fskilledmigrant%2fLinkAdministration%2fToolb oxLinks%2fessentialskills.htm%3flevel%3d1&NRCACHEH INT=Guest&level=1 for Mechanical Engineer, I've found the Engineering section, where the requirements in the last two columns (for LTSSL, and for bonus point for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage) are as follows.

Here http://www.ieagreements.org/Washington-Accord/FAQ.cfm is how to proceed to find out if your degree(s) are or are not Washington Accord recognized. As you'll see from the requirements above, if they're not, the only way to be in a position to claim the points you did is to get the IPENZ letter, since both your degrees have turned out to have a generic outcome. That simply means that their content doesn't have close equivalence to any existing NZ degree. And that is why INZ, who aren't expected to know about the ins and outs of all professions, want evidence from the engineering experts to say that your qualifications would indeed be valuable and useful in the NZ context.

You can't get past this point without EITHER showing Washington Accord recognition, OR supplying support from IPENZ. If you want to get to live and work in NZ, and not waste the effort you've put in already, you have to take this next step - up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I agree that it seems rather odd that the CO didn't raise this till this late stage - maybe she only then noticed that your IQAs were giving generic results. However, annoying though it must be, when a CO says, 'Send x,' you have to send it.

Good luck.
    Thanks JandM for your valuable reply. I have sent my documents to IPENZ for the Step 1 assessment. I looked out for my for both my degrees if they were Washington Accord recognized or not and it turned out to be negative. So I believe I need to go for step 2 of IPENZ assessment as well.
    Also what if in the worst case, I cannot claim the bonus points (10 I believe)? My total points will come down to 130. What happens in this scenario? Since the Interview is also over, there is no point of my EOI going back to the pool? (Correct me if i'm wrong). Have you come across a case like this before?

Thanks

I don't think having had the interview has any bearing on the matter - your EOI has a right to six months in the pool, so if they said you'd only got 130, and it wasn't yet six months since you lodged your application, it could go back.

Let's hope IPENZ come good, and it doesn't get to that point.

Looking at the time frame, it will be more than six months.
    My EOI got selected on Nov 27th 2013,
    ITA was issued on Dec 4th 2013,
    Application lodged March 27 2014,
    Interview on May 30 2014,
    Email from CO about IPENZ letter on Jul 17 2014.

Also, I would like to know if a JSV may be offered if my bonus points are not included? (I hope this will not be the case and pray for a Residence Visa)
    And if a job search visa is offered, do i have to find employment only related to my education/exp (Mechanical Engineering) i claimed points for? or any skilled employment, to apply for a residence visa later with this employment? Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I don't think having had the interview has any bearing on the matter - your EOI has a right to six months in the pool, so if they said you'd only got 130, and it wasn't yet six months since you lodged your application, it could go back.

Let's hope IPENZ come good, and it doesn't get to that point.
    Hi JandM and all others,

I have applied for IPENZ KA01 assessment, and as i expected, since both my degrees are not Washington accord recognized, a letter will not be issued certifying that I am eligible for CPEng. Alternatively I can apply for KA 02 assessment, but i need to produce samples of my work, calculations, analysis/reports etc., which i do not have now as I am not working with my previous employers and not living in USA anymore. Hence, I don't feel confident in obtaining the IPENZ letter even after KA 02 assessment.

So, it is likely that the bonus points i claimed for Qualifications in an Area of Absolute Skill Shortage (10 points I believe) will not be counted, which brings my total points to 130. Also can anyone tell me, if the bonus points I claimed for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage (10 points: 2 to 5 years ) will not be counted, having not produced the letter?

In this scenario, as I already had the Interview with INZ CO, what is more likely to happen?(Issuance of work visa or Decline the application).

All your replies are appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Prash

Hi prash1083,

Please let me know what you did. I too am in the same situation. I applied for KA01 and was told to apply for KA02. I had done my engineering from Mangalore University. Is there anyone who has gone through this stage of KA02 successfully??

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by gobabygo View Post
    Hi prash1083,

Please let me know what you did. I too am in the same situation. I applied for KA01 and was told to apply for KA02. I had done my engineering from Mangalore University. Is there anyone who has gone through this stage of KA02 successfully??

Regards
    Hello gobabygo
    My KA02 assessment was unsuccessfull. I had outcome from NZQA as "A bachelor degree at level 8". I am an Electrical Engineer. It did not give me points under SMC as I needed "a bachelor of engineering". I prepared all necessary documents along with big payment for IPENZ and received NOTHING. KA02 is a FRAUD (IMHO). If you don't have "a bachelor of engineering" from NZQA then you will not receive a letter from IPENZ certifying that you are eligeble for registration... etc!
    IPENZ says: "as you don't have a degree under Washington Accord we are not able to put your experience under consideration".
    Sad but true.

Not discounting how frustrating this must seem for you folks, you are in a particular profession (engineering) that happens to be the most regulated in the tertiary sector. And rightly so: badly built things can kill people. There are national, regional and transnational standards for engineering education. Thus it's a relatively straightforward one for NZQA to administer: programmes that are wholly accredited "count"; those that aren't do not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast