Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who can vote in New Zealand ?

Default Who can vote in New Zealand ?

Can you enroll to vote/vote in NZ with a Resident visa or you must have a permanent resident visa?

Permanent Residents and Citizens over 18 can vote in NZ elections. See here

http://www.elections.org.nz/voters/e...and-cant-enrol

The Electoral Commission define a permanent resident as "someone who has not taken up citizenship but who is entitled by law to live permanently in New Zealand", therefore this would include people with a Residence Visa or a Permanent Residence Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    The Electoral Commission define a permanent resident as "someone who has not taken up citizenship but who is entitled by law to live permanently in New Zealand", therefore this would include people with a Residence Visa or a Permanent Residence Visa.
    I found this a bit confusing and not very good wording on the commissions side considering the immigration policy defining resident and permanent resident now so I contacted The electoral commission and this is the reply I got. I removed the persons name.

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 11:06 AM, "enrol@elections.org.nz" <enrol@elections.org.nz> wrote:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email .

To be eligible to vote you must hold permanent resident status. This means you are able to remain in New Zealand indefinately while not being a citizen.

Once you have the permanent resident status you will be able to enrol to vote in New Zealand.

If you need assistance please email us again or call us on 0800 36 76 56.
    Yours faithfully

Enrolment Services

Electoral Commission

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NZ View Post
    I found this a bit confusing and not very good wording on the commissions side considering the immigration policy defining resident and permanent resident now so I contacted The electoral commission and this is the reply I got. I removed the persons name.

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 11:06 AM, "enrol@elections.org.nz" <enrol@elections.org.nz> wrote:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email .

To be eligible to vote you must hold permanent resident status. This means you are able to remain in New Zealand indefinately while not being a citizen.

Once you have the permanent resident status you will be able to enrol to vote in New Zealand.

If you need assistance please email us again or call us on 0800 36 76 56.
    Yours faithfully

Enrolment Services

Electoral Commission
    Suggest you ask them why a residence visa doesn't count as with it you have permanent residence status.

From immigration website regarding the difference between a residence visa and a permanent residence visa "Both of these visas allow you the same privilege of living permanently in New Zealand, but they provide you with different travel conditions."

Which means that both visa meet the minimum requirements to be allowed to vote.

Ian

Have contacted them again and asked them to clarify

Have contacted the Electoral Commission by phone and discussed this issue with three different people, two of whom told me that the residence class visa is NOT sufficient to enable you to be eligible to vote, only after escalating the matter did I talk to someone who immediately said that the residence visa is fine i.e. as long as you are able to live in NZ indefinitely then you are eligible to vote.

Hopefully they will now improve their customer service regarding this issue.

Ian

I'm currently struggling to figure out if I can vote with resident visa and found this thread. And then found the notation on the elections.org.nz
    "
    For the purposes of registering as an elector, a permanent resident is someone who is entitled to live indefinitely in New Zealand.
    If you hold a resident visa or a permanent resident visa and have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more you are eligible to enrol and vote.
    "
    at here http://www.elections.org.nz/voters/e...and-cant-enrol
    I don't know when it changed but it's clear now.
    I know this is a thread of 2 years ago, but hope to help others

All this confusion arose because INZ changed the names of visas a few years ago, but the regulations issued by other government departments (and official bodies like banks) did not immediately get altered. I think most have just about caught up now, but we occasionally still here of misunderstandings.

I have a question.

I (& my family) am on resident visa here and was under the impression that we needed to be, here in NZ, for at least 12 months before we could vote. I registered anyway when a guy with forms came to my place, late evening (having been told it would probably kick in 12 months later).

Recently, to my surprise, I have received letters (w/enrollment codes) to enroll from Electoral Commission and so did my spouse (arrived 5 weeks back).

Should I use those codes to formally enroll and vote?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast