Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Residency Declined, worth an appeal? Retail manager VS Retail supervisor

Default Residency Declined, worth an appeal? Retail manager VS Retail supervisor

Hi all,
    Desperately looking for a bit of advice here, have received today a letter stating that my residency application has been declined because they feel that my job as a duty manager at a Four Square is more linked to the ANZSCO definition of a Retail supervisor then a Retail manager. A lot of my tasks do overlap on the two definitions, but Its mostly picking up on the fact that I do not hire and fire staff, and with the management tasks I do hold are restricted by company regulations.
    Has anyone faced a similar situation with retail management? It looks to me like an appeal would not make much difference at this point.

sorry to hear that. Can u tell us more about what tasks were restricted.

Sorry to hear ....
    Who was your CO ? if u dont mind can u PM me ?

Thanks for getting back to me, the initial letter I was sent gives a good description f the issues they have with my job role;

'At present, you do not appear to be performing the following core tasks/duties of this occupation:

Determining product mix, stock levels and service standards
    Product Mix – From the information provided it appears you are limited in this task due to the fact your store is required to stock all items on the weekly sales catalogue and products determined “A” range by Four Square.

Formulating and implementing purchasing and marketing policies, and setting prices
    Purchasing – From the information provided it appears you order products for a range of grocery items (this includes 18 suppliers for stationery, gardening, health and beauty). This involves ordering so stock on hand would last two weeks. Purchasing policies and payments appear to be determined/completed by your employer. You would work out how much stock you need, send the order away and check the stock is delivered. This appears to show you are involved in purchasing items, but not formulating the policies.

Marketing Policies – this appears to be completed by Four Square head office through their national
    marketing policies. Marketing at the shop level occurs periodically around Easter or Christmas or through providing fundraising prizes to the local community, you appear to be helping to ensure hampers are created and delivered, but have had no role in implementing these marketing policies.

Setting Prices – this appears to be set by Four Square pricing policy.

Promoting and advertising the establishment's goods and services - from the information provided it appears all marketing policies are determined by head office. Your employer has stated your store usually goes with the national promotion and rarely complete independent advertising.'

The main issue is that there seems to be a really fine line between retail supervisor and retail manager ANZSCO definitions.

ANZSCO 621511 Retail Supervisor:
    ensuring that customers receive prompt service and quality goods and services
    responding to customers' inquiries and complaints about goods and services
    planning and preparing work schedules and assigning staff to specific duties
    interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating, dismissing and promoting staff, and resolving staff grievances
    instructing staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales procedures
    examining returned goods and deciding on appropriate action
    taking inventory of goods for sale and ordering new stock
    ensuring that goods and services are correctly priced and displayed
    ensuring safety and security procedures are enforced

ANZSCO Retail Manager:
    determining product mix, stock levels and service standards
    formulating and implementing purchasing and marketing policies, and setting prices
    promoting and advertising the establishment's goods and services
    selling goods and services to customers and advising them on product use
    maintaining records of stock levels and financial transactions
    undertaking budgeting for the establishment
    controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
    ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations

They seem happy with me fulfilling the other tasks with the exception of not having great involvement in hiring staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacillations View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me, the initial letter I was sent gives a good description f the issues they have with my job role;

'At present, you do not appear to be performing the following core tasks/duties of this occupation:

Determining product mix, stock levels and service standards
    Product Mix – From the information provided it appears you are limited in this task due to the fact your store is required to stock all items on the weekly sales catalogue and products determined “A” range by Four Square.

Formulating and implementing purchasing and marketing policies, and setting prices
    Purchasing – From the information provided it appears you order products for a range of grocery items (this includes 18 suppliers for stationery, gardening, health and beauty). This involves ordering so stock on hand would last two weeks. Purchasing policies and payments appear to be determined/completed by your employer. You would work out how much stock you need, send the order away and check the stock is delivered. This appears to show you are involved in purchasing items, but not formulating the policies.

Marketing Policies – this appears to be completed by Four Square head office through their national
    marketing policies. Marketing at the shop level occurs periodically around Easter or Christmas or through providing fundraising prizes to the local community, you appear to be helping to ensure hampers are created and delivered, but have had no role in implementing these marketing policies.

Setting Prices – this appears to be set by Four Square pricing policy.

Promoting and advertising the establishment's goods and services - from the information provided it appears all marketing policies are determined by head office. Your employer has stated your store usually goes with the national promotion and rarely complete independent advertising.'

The main issue is that there seems to be a really fine line between retail supervisor and retail manager ANZSCO definitions.

ANZSCO 621511 Retail Supervisor:
    ensuring that customers receive prompt service and quality goods and services
    responding to customers' inquiries and complaints about goods and services
    planning and preparing work schedules and assigning staff to specific duties
    interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating, dismissing and promoting staff, and resolving staff grievances
    instructing staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales procedures
    examining returned goods and deciding on appropriate action
    taking inventory of goods for sale and ordering new stock
    ensuring that goods and services are correctly priced and displayed
    ensuring safety and security procedures are enforced

ANZSCO Retail Manager:
    determining product mix, stock levels and service standards
    formulating and implementing purchasing and marketing policies, and setting prices
    promoting and advertising the establishment's goods and services
    selling goods and services to customers and advising them on product use
    maintaining records of stock levels and financial transactions
    undertaking budgeting for the establishment
    controlling selection, training and supervision of staff
    ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations

They seem happy with me fulfilling the other tasks with the exception of not having great involvement in hiring staff.

So sorry to hear that I'm in the exact same situation as you, did they give you a chance to make further comments?

Quote Originally Posted by lipgloss15 View Post
    So sorry to hear that I'm in the exact same situation as you, did they give you a chance to make further comments?
    That sucks, we had an initial chance to give additional information and gave them everything we had but it wasnt enough to change their mind on that decision. Its a tough one when someone working in a small dairy can qualify because its independent and not a chain...

Hi there, could you please tell me did your file gone through the second person check or the first co decline your application? Did not they gave you a chance to comment?

No I never got on to the second person but we did have the opportunity to comment which was not enough to change their minds.

Get a lawyer to review your case to see if you stand a chance in appeal. Are you currently having a work visa approved based on the same Anzsco code?

what's the Heirachy at your store?... is there one "Store Manager" and several Duty Managers? If your duties subtansially match those of a Retail Manager on ANZSCOo, and there is only 1 or 2 tasks that are not a substansial match, then its worth Appealing , with the help of a good lawyer or adviser. A store can have more than one retail manager.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast