Thread: Broadband, phone, mobile

Default Broadband, phone, mobile

Hi
    Arrive over in a couple of weeks and will want to get connected fairly quickly. We'll be on a tight enough budget until the OH gets a job too so what do folk recommend? Do we need a landline if we get internet? What are the PAYG deals like for mobiles? And did people bring their own phones?
    Cheers
    Des

Once you get past the adverts at the top of the list, here are some of our old threads on this topic which may help. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...one%2C+mobile+

I'd work out the best package based on your projected usage.
    A few pointers:
    Naked broadband is a service with no landline.
    Some providers give a good deal on a mobile connection with a landline package, may work out cheaper than PAYG.
    You can bring your phone over but make sure you get it unlocked in UK first.
    Old threads will talk about Telecom, they are now called Spark.

Simon

In Wellington CBD you get free wifi so it perhaps it could give you a breather when you arrive - not sure where you're going but other cities have similar I believe. At least check out the local libraries. We were connected via a phone and the free CBD wifi to start with. It took a little bit of organising but we stayed connected enough and I was even able to work remotely!

We brought our phones across with us and just bought SIM cards. I started with a PAYG with 2° but moved to the telecom (now Spark) $19/month package so I could use their free wifi hotspots.
    We have internet connection with slingshot, the package was just as cheap with the landline but we don't have a house phone plugged in.

I recently bought an unlocked MotoG through Amazon ($200 US) and went with 2 Degrees prepaid. It's great. Unused data, phone time and text rolls over to the next month. I pay $20 a month.

In 2 years I've been on 2 different mobile and 2 different IS providers here in Auckland. For mobile I use data more than calling so I've pinged between Telecom and 2Degrees based on offerings. Keeping the same number and using my own unlocked iPhone. Currently I'm on Telecom--sorry, they've just rebranded as Spark--because their 4G coverage is much better. If you have your own phone you have more options--and often the "deals" for a subsidised phone are about the same as buying it unlocked.

We had Telecom as our ISP but switched to Actrix once we moved into our house. We pay $99 a month for 150GB of data and a landline with free landline calling throughout NZ. The landline is only used by my sister-in-law. Mostly we have the landline so our alarm system can be monitored.

This website http://www.whistleout.co.nz/ is useful in understand the mobile phone deals available especially the 'comparison over 2 years' option.

http://www.telme.org.nz/telme

Is a website under the "consumer" brand that allows comparisons across telcos based on how you used your phone.