Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner but not living together

Default Partner but not living together

Hi. I'd appreciate it if somebody would help me out. I have been in a relationship with my fiancee for 8 years now and have declared him as partner in my eoi but we havent been living together like in a live-in kind of thing. We were together for 6 years in my home country but i have been here in new zealand since 2012. Is it possible that my residency application as principal applicant (ITA stage)will be declined if i cant prove to INZ we live together in one roof? 😕

have you included your fiancee in your residency application?

Yeah i happen to include him. Shouldnt have done so i guess.

it would not effect on your residency application if you are a main applicant. but it could effect on your fiancée application. because to show the genuine partisanship we have to produce lots of supporting documents like tenancy agreement under both names,any bill on both names, joint accounts etc.

Yeah i realized that. Im quite worried the officer might think im providing false or misleading information since i made a mistake in the application or if i cant provide proof that we "live together" should they ask for more proof though.

Can anyone else shed light on this matter? Thanks.

I can't see that there is anything misleading or fraudulent about what you have done. You had a live-in relationship, which is only interrupted because you needed to move for your work.

Do you have evidence that you lived together for all that time in your home country? And can you show that you have kept in touch since you moved to NZ for work, e.g. phone records, emails, visits to one another? Notice F2.20.15 b. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30880.htm

Depending on how much evidence you can provide, they may or may not grant your fiance a residence visa along with yours. But I think you definitely did the right thing in declaring him on your application.

Thanks for your reply.

Im quite worried that i declared him as a partner but we never have been living together in one roof but we are together just in a relationship like boyfriend and girlfriend. All i have are proofs since 2009 though by the screenshots we take from time to time when we communicate on Skype or FaceTime, letters from family and friends, some money transfer transactions through western union.

Thanks for your reply.

No we are not in a live-in relationship back in my home country at all. Im quite worried that i declared him as a partner but we never have been living together in one roof but we are together just in a relationship like boyfriend and girlfriend. All i have are proofs since 2009 though by the screenshots we take from time to time when we communicate on Skype or FaceTime, letters from family and friends, some money transfer transactions through western union.

Then maybe the best thing would be to write to INZ and say that you have only now been made aware that as you haven't lived together with your fiance, he doesn't meet the requirements for partnership, so you will have to remove him from your application. If you voluntarily give this information yourself, nobody can think you made a fraudulent application. There are many people - we've seen them on the forum here - who misunderstand the INZ definition of partnership, as it's different from in their home culture, so you would definitely not be the first to have to admit this problem. And you would not be blocking anything for your fiance. He definitely would have no chance of getting Residence along with you on this present application. But the fact that you have given his details as your fiance now means that any future application he might make, if later on he spends some time living with you and you sponsor him for a partner-sponsored work visa, has a better chance - his relationship with you will be on official record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast