Thread: Bringing another container after living in NZ for a while

Default Bringing another container after living in NZ for a while

My daughter in law's mother passed away and she would like to bring some of her mother's things from the US to NZ but it would require a container. My son is a dual citizen, his wife has NZ PR. I know that when they made the initial move to NZ there was no duty to be paid on used personal household goods. Does anyone know if duty is charged for importing inherited used personal household goods or is the duty-free importing only when you are arriving in NZ? Thanks.

From an earlier post that might help answer your question...

Quote Originally Posted by lou76 View Post
    Hi

I have just enquired with customs regarding this. It took a few emails to clarify but the situation from customs is as follows.

If you have a document authorising residence then you have up to five years from date of your first arrival to bring in your used personal and household effects you owned and used before you obtained residence.exempt tax.You may send in two or more shipments in the time frame

This is applicable for both new residents and returning residents who have been out of the country for 21 months

If you have been absent over 21 months your used personal and household effects would be exempt tax please see document authorising residence attached.Any new goods are taxable

Hope this helps!!
    So you don't have to bring in all the household goods at the time of arrival and you can bring in more than one shipment.

Would assume that your daughter in law won't have a problem, but just note that even if she is charged, they charge based on depreciation of the used goods so value is much less than you may think.

Ian

I am going to do this later in the year, so will update you all. Hopefully it wont be an issue. Now where did I save that email!!

Thank you! My DIL will be elated. Me too as I've still got a few things back in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    My daughter in law's mother passed away and she would like to bring some of her mother's things from the US to NZ but it would require a container. My son is a dual citizen, his wife has NZ PR. I know that when they made the initial move to NZ there was no duty to be paid on used personal household goods. Does anyone know if duty is charged for importing inherited used personal household goods or is the duty-free importing only when you are arriving in NZ? Thanks.
    I did this but after all the hassels I went through I'd never do it again.

We had furniture my m-i-l left to us as part of a container load brought here, and it was about five years after we got residency. I got a call from customs about value etc. and explained it to them, and we had no issues whatsoever.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!