Thread: What electrical appliance to ship Singapore to NZ?

Default What electrical appliance to ship Singapore to NZ?

We will be moving to NZ in the next couple of months and will be using a 20ft container for move. THis means we can practically pack most of our stuff and re-use them to keep the cost own

I mean we have fridge(considering NOT to ship), dish washer, washing machinge, clothes dryer, how about small appliances like home phones. Will our Singapore DEC phones work in NZ?

Thanks in advance for any experiences and information.

Hector, did you manage to make the move using the 20ft container.

What was your experience with the electrical devices ?

The only difference between the Singapore/NZ system is the 3-pin kangaroo plug. And for that you need an adaptor which is only less than $2 in almost all hardware stores. As for telephones they will work just as well in NZ. Electronic items - especially those which are the latest will be pricier in NZ. Hence it can be worthwhile to ship all your electrical goods to NZ if you have such a big container and have the space. And that includes even the refrigerator. Ask for a top-notch freight company to really wrap and packed the fridge. A good one will even crate the fridge (meaning build a box around it) to protect it. Alternatively you can choose to buy your appliances from Harvey Norman (they have a global warranty) that covers appliances in Singapore, Australia and NZ. And no.....I don't work for HN.

So which freight company to ship from SG to NZ for a 20ft container? And how much will it cost?

I have never thought of shipping anything but instead only think of buying in NZ... wonder will it really save by shipping over?

I have never thought of shipping anything but instead only think of buying in NZ... wonder will it really save by shipping over?
    1st figure out the value of all the items (appliances etc) you want to ship is worth. If you find all of it is worth less than $10,000 - then it's really hard to see any benefit by paying for a shipping container. Even if some of the appliances are special items not available in NZ.

If your things are quite new and good quality, consider shipping them. Otherwise, buy them here in NZ. You'll find almost everything to be more expensive. However, there's always a SALE going on. That said, always compare prices - at least 3 shops - especially in the beginning.

Oh yes, if you like using thermal pots for your cooking, do bring your existing one here, or even go buy one in OG or Isetan to bring here. I really love using it as it saves time and money.

Default Shipping costs

Quote Originally Posted by hector0108 View Post
    We will be moving to NZ in the next couple of months and will be using a 20ft container for move. THis means we can practically pack most of our stuff and re-use them to keep the cost own

I mean we have fridge(considering NOT to ship), dish washer, washing machinge, clothes dryer, how about small appliances like home phones. Will our Singapore DEC phones work in NZ?

Thanks in advance for any experiences and information.
    For sea shipping cost for a 20ft container, it is about S$3000 from port to port. You will need to pack them really for staffing. There are additional destination changes for port clearance and transport and it will be cheaper to engage NZ local house-hold agent to handle it. FYI, I have a friend that move all his things there from beds, furniture and etc... Things there are rather expensive.