Thread: Changing Visas?!?!

Default Changing Visas?!?!

I was approved for a 12 month WHV visa in May. I am relocating with my boyfriend to NZ in late October. We plan on being there for many years. The plan is to eventually apply for residency through partnership once we have acquired more proof, and time living together. The reason I went with 12 month was because I did not have health insurance at the time. Now I do, and I have access to a chest xray. It is possible to/should I apply for a 24 month WHV?

Hi. Is your WHV from the US? If so, there is no other version - 12 months is it! If you are on a UK WHV then you can now only apply for the extension when you are in NZ. So, once you are there you could apply. It is now a paper-based application, not an online one. Do remember though, that even on the 23 month UKWHV, you can only work for 12 months. Once in NZ, one option would be to look for a job for which you are suitably qualified and experienced and move onto a work visa, such a Essential Skills. Your WHV would allow you to get started with the company, so it gives the company a chance to see how you fit in etc. If your boyfriend is a Kiwi, then once you have evidence of living together for around 3 months or more you can apply for a temporary partnership-based work visa. This allows you to work for any employer in any occupation. Once you have been together for 12 months or longer, you can apply for residence as his partner. Hope that helps.

Very helpful! Thank you!