Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Service as a Permanent resident

Default Jury Service as a Permanent resident

Hi, I am a NZ resident and have been summoned for Jury Service. I thought only citizens were legally obligated for Jury service and not PR's. So, is this a mistake by them? Or is it that PR's must serve on a jury too when called?

This link doesn't say anything about the immigration status -

http://www.justice.govt.nz/services/...ho-is-eligible

Thanks

The jurors are selected from the electoral role so if you are a resident then you can be selected, and yes you must serve when called unless of course you get excused.

Ian

All I can state is my own personal experience. I now have citizenship but was called for jury service before I got citizenship plus my neighbour has done jury service and still does not have citizenship so yes you can be called for Jury service on a permanent residency

As above, we have both been called for jury service as Permanent Residents. Twice in fact! You now have to do it, by giving dates you are available even if excused on first calling.
    Last edited by Carey; 17th August 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

What a nuisance this is actually, permanent residents being summoned for jury service. Jury service, like voting, quintessentially is a prerogative and responsibility of citizenship and only citizens should be required to do this. In my opinion, this just undermines the value of citizenship in this country. Countries like USA, Australia etc only allow citizens to serve on a jury and do this for a reason...

I am just going to apply to be excused from this saying that I am not a citizen and when I applied for residency I wasn't told that I would be obliged for this.
    Last edited by dreammerchant; 18th August 2014 at 11:30 AM.

I've been called up (as as Permanent Resident) and was excused. Unfortunately my company was not going to provide paid leave for it and I couldn't financially undertake the risk if it went to a long case so wrote to the Registrar and explained the situation and was initially refused on this basis but I called up and reiterated my case and was let off.
    Luckily my new employer supports this so if I'm called up to do again I will do my civic duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Twunky View Post
    I've been called up (as as Permanent Resident) and was excused. Unfortunately my company was not going to provide paid leave for it and I couldn't financially undertake the risk if it went to a long case so wrote to the Registrar and explained the situation and was initially refused on this basis but I called up and reiterated my case and was let off.
    Luckily my new employer supports this so if I'm called up to do again I will do my civic duty.

Good on you, Twunky. I would have done this if this was something that took just a few hours, but the letter I have received says the trial is expected to last at least one week. Now, I cannot afford to lose any income on this as my employer doesn't provide any paid leaves for this purpose. Also, I have/feel no sense of responsibility and commitment to this country and am here only for a couple of years. The reason I applied for permanent residency was only to avoid getting visas renewed every 2-3 years and to have a safety net in case something unexpected happened which my taxation funds.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammerchant View Post
    The reason I applied for permanent residency was only to avoid getting visas renewed every 2-3 years and to have a safety net in case something unexpected happened which my taxation funds.
    Personally, I think with the rights and advantages you take the responsibilities. I'm not saying don't try to be excused, I understand the fact that not everyone can afford to not be paid for a week. But still think that one should expect to be asked to do some civic duties in return for, as in your case, 'avoid getting visas renewed and have a safety net'.

If you view having an equitable justice system with equal responsibilities for all who are long-term attached to a country as a "nuisance'...

Rather disappointing. Your position, not the obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammerchant View Post
    What a nuisance this is actually, permanent residents being summoned for jury service. Jury service, like voting, quintessentially is a prerogative and responsibility of citizenship and only citizens should be required to do this. In my opinion, this just undermines the value of citizenship in this country. Countries like USA, Australia etc only allow citizens to serve on a jury and do this for a reason...

I am just going to apply to be excused from this saying that I am not a citizen and when I applied for residency I wasn't told that I would be obliged for this.

My husband has been called up twice but was excused due to his job. They were very reasonable with him. We are on Permanent residency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast