Hi all,

I am a US citizen with a partner who is a NZ citizen. We are both finishing our studies in our respective countries and have been in a long distance relationship for 2 years, visiting back and forth every 4-6 months, with visits lasting from 1-3 months at a time. I have just finished my Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy in the US. I will be completing 1 year of work in the US before applying for a visa to work in New Zealand. I want to start working in New Zealand as an occupational therapist in youth mental health as soon after my work in the States finishes, 1 year from now, at the time when my partner finishes his studies. I know what I will need to do to transfer my registration/credentials to New Zealand, but I am concerned about the visa process. Occupational Therapy is not on the essential skills or job shortage list.

I have been reading on the immigration website about all the visas available, and I am wondering what the best chances are among several visas:

• Partnership Work Visa (my partner and I have lived together for up to 3 months at a time, but we have never signed a tenancy agreement together as one person has been unofficially "staying" with the other so not to increase rent with the landlord. We also have not opened any bank accounts together. We do have evidence of photos, letters from family, skype logs, letters to each other, etc from the past 2 years. No official documents that I can think of aside from flight itineraries).
  • Working Holiday Visa (Will this prevent me from accepting a job offer for more than 3 or 4 months?)
  • Temporary Working Visa or Work to Residence Visa (I feel confident in my ability to find a job in New Zealand, as I have completed a 3 month internship here in my field and have networked in the area. That said, I doubt that any company (likely a mental health NGO) will be able to prove that they cannot find a qualified New Zealander for the job, as there are currently more Occupational Therapists than there are jobs in New Zealand. My particular area of interest is youth mental health, and NGO's and district health boards often hire occupational therapists, social workers, or other mental health professionals for the same jobs. My suspicion is that there will be plenty qualified New Zealanders for the jobs I am interested in.)
  • Silver Fern Visa (although it looks like this may no longer be on offer this year, and even if is, the chances are slim?)
  • Expression of Interest to Skilled Migrant Visa for Residency (I register 150 points on the points calculator Expression of Interest form. But if I apply now, what are the chances this gets granted before I want to move over, 1 year from now?)

Summary of my questions:
Among the visas listed, which visa offers me the best chances of being granted permission to start work in New Zealand for at least 1 year and start making steps towards residency?
Can I apply for more than one visa and "choose" the best one I get (if I am granted any)?
If/when I apply for any of the visas above, when is the best timeline to apply for each? 6 months before moving with no job offer, or 1 month before moving with a potential job offer?

Thank you in advance for your advice!!