Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baggage allowances

Question Baggage allowances

Feel free to call me daft, but on checking the air new zealand website, I see they offer a baggage allowance in total of 64KG per person when flying via LA. This is based on two pieces each at 32KG.
    The other airlines I have checked only seem to offer 30KG max.
    So, am I reading this correctly, or have ANZ made a mistake?
    I cant reach them on the phone at the moment, so thought I would ask you kind people. When we flew this route last year, I am sure we were told 32KG each.

You're right. If flying through the States you are entitled to two bags, maximum 32kg per bag, per person. If you fly through Asia you are entitled to 20kg per person (although some on here have managed to swing a bigger allowance if emigrating on a one way ticket!). If luggage allowance is an issue then flying via LA is the way to go - but you do have to deal with LA transit (when I last did it it was horrible, and that was before 9-11!!). I also think (IMHO) that the Asian airlines have much better service and are a more comfortable way to travel, but that's personal choice again. It's only one day out of your life when all is said and done!!

Hope this helps Timbo.

Debs

Timbo

I'm pretty sure you have to have a machine readable (barcode) passport to travel through the US. Best to check as I think only the newest UK passports are machine readable.

Thanks folks. That pretty much means that ANZ via LA is the way to go for us. Especially as they are currently offering £599 return.
    I cant say we really enjoyed the LA experience last time round, but, like you say Debs, it is just a day in our lives.

We'll probably go Emirates via Dubai or Singapore Airlines via Singapore - as we have friends in Dubai and Singapore, both of whom we'd like to catch up with (not possible to do both so it'll depend on the cheaper airline at the time I think!). ANZ via LA def has the baggage allowance advantage though!

Debs

Timbo we came ANZ and we were allowed 64 kg each plus carry on do dah's. G had a briefcase and bag, I had a carry one bag and handbag and other bits and pieces hanging off me and they didn't bash an eyelid.

Debs is right LAX is one day in your life. We booked an airport hotel for the stopover and it made all the difference. The Crowne Plaza.

I was dreading the transit Immigration stuff but it was fine, we filled out our forms on the plane and had everything out and ready. The staff were grumpy and gruff (who wouldn't be working there) but we were our normal pleasant selves! we needed our bed.......

Deborah
    ps my pp is 7 years old and is machine readable.

Not sure why but if you fly out from LAX as an American, there is no extra luggage allowance. I checked several times with ANZ and got the same answer and ended up paying $8USD for mine last week. Its great that it works for some but I wanted anyone coming from the US to be prepared to spend the money or pack lighter. I should have packed lighter...

;-)

Anyone know how you sort out the stop over, when I have looked at the prices with Singapore Airlines the prices jump dramatically when you stay. Plus there is a direct flight from Singapore to Christchurch but you don't seem to get it with a stopover.

Very Very confused. Plus how do you get the extra allowance for baggage?

Jo. I believe that you have to submitt a copy of your passport or at least prove you have the visa, before you can get extra baggage with the SA/Emirates etc.

In the Stopover/Multi City option on the Singapore website type in LHR to Singapore as the first leg and then Singapore to Christchurch. Just tried it out for 16th/20th November and works out at £1,843.60 for 2 adults and 2 kids compared to £1,739.20 straight through.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast