Thread: Sponsoring my parents and gf

Question Sponsoring my parents and gf

Hi there.

I hope someone could answer my question. I just became a permanent resident in NZ and will be sponsoring my parents next year(2015). In a couple of years time(in 2016) I also would like to sponsor my girl friend from overseas who will be in NZ next year.

Is sponsoring my parents and gf at the same time possible? I heard a rumour that I have to wait for 4 years before I can sponsor another person.

Thank you,
    D
    Last edited by advntrer; 20th August 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Your parents and your girlfriend come under two different categories. If you and your girlfriend live together for more than a year in NZ (or have lived together for more than a year until recently overseas), you can support her application for residence as your partner. If you live together for just a few months (I would advise at least 3 months) you can first support her application for a work visa as your partner and then residence later. However, to suport your parents for residence, yoo have to have lived in NZ as a resident for at least 3 years. You can sponsor your parents for a visitor visa under V3:110 right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Your parents and your girlfriend come under two different categories. If you and your girlfriend live together for more than a year in NZ (or have lived together for more than a year until recently overseas), you can support her application for residence as your partner. If you live together for just a few months (I would advise at least 3 months) you can first support her application for a work visa as your partner and then residence later. However, to suport your parents for residence, yoo have to have lived in NZ as a resident for at least 3 years. You can sponsor your parents for a visitor visa under V3:110 right now though.
    Thank you Karen. I have obtained my resident visa 2 years ago so I should be able to support my parents next year after 3 years of holding the resident visa. I appreciate your help.