Thread: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Work visa

Default Rheumatoid Arthritis - Work visa

I will be applying for a Work visa, but I have Rheumatoid arthritis and am on Enbrel therapy. Has anyone gone through the same process?

As I understand, my condition is listed under Apendix 10. And I don't quite understand, should my threatment not cost more than 41.000$ in five years, or all together, since it's a chronic condition?

Also, what does it mean, if I keep the information about my disease for myself? Does it mean I will not be entitled to treatment in New Zealand? What if I list my disease but just keep the information about Enbrel for myself and just fly home to get my medication, when needed?

----------

Applicants for residence are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:

- unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand’s health services or special education services;

Appendix 10 - Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or education services:
    - Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone

A4.10.2 Assessment of whether an applicant for a residence class visa is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services

The requirement that an applicant for a residence class visa must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000.

Note: Assessment will be in terms of current costs with no inflation adjustment.
    In the case of acute medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000 within a period of five years from the date the assessment against health requirements is made.
    In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$41,000.

Since nobody else has answered, here are my 2 cents:

It's $41,000 over your lifetime for chronic conditions (like RA), but that doesn't matter anyway for at least two reasons.
    1) NZ immigration has already decided your condition is inherently high cost
    2) At NZ prices, you will exceed the $41,000 well inside of two years.

We've had at least a couple people on this forum get approved with RA, but I don't recollect anyone taking biologicals.

I see much downside to withholding information (lying) on your application. If you stay in NZ long enough, you will eventually need medical treatment for something. The costs associated with your condition are potententially so great that the Ministry of Health will be looking for a way to deport you.

I see much downside to withholding information (lying) on your application.
    Yes. Regardless of the rest of 72andsunny's comment about the nature of the illness, INZ will cancel visas found to have been issued on the basis of a fraudulent declaration.