Thread: Entrepreneur Work Visa Category - is it working?

Question Entrepreneur Work Visa Category - is it working?

Not much response in the immigration forum so I'll ask in here

I've tried searching the forums to see results of the Entrepreneur Work Visa Category of how its working and if there are people wishing to use it to get into New Zealand but I've not found anything useful.

I'm also interested if there are UK websites that have businesses for sale aimed at folk that want to come to NZ under the Entrepreneur Work Visa Category.

Of course there is a reason why I ask!

I have a motel in Hawke's Bay and we get lots of Brits in that would love to live in NZ but don't have the necessary skills or points or other reasons etc - I'm thinking this is a way in, but is it???
    I'd like to tell them there is a way but I've got to get my facts right. If they sold up, they only need $100,000 to get started. The 120 points looks straight-forward enough.

Secondly, and don't think I'm here to sell my motel, but when I'm ready to, wouldn't it be a good option for a anyone to buy a going concern, to live in sunny Hawke's Bay, have home and income and then eventually convert to residency. Sounds good but where is the outlet for those stuck the other side of the world wishing there was a way in?

I think you haven't had many replies because we haven't had many members who have gone the business route - the vast majority of posters here are applying for work visas or Residence under SMC or the family stream. Then there's the fact that many people are extremely regular readers and posters while they're going through the visa process and, if successful, settling in in NZ, but once they get caught up in their new life they stop visiting the forum. If you were to find old posts from a business visa applicant who's not posting currently, you could try PMing them to get attention, as they may still have email alerts in place. To do that, you'd need to make five posts in total, then the forum will automatically switch on your PMing capability (give it 20 minutes or so) - click on someone's username above one of their posts, and private messaging will be one of the possibilities in the drop-down box.

We lodged our Residency Feb 12 2014 and still waiting . They have not done anything and we went the Entrepreneur category. it is very hard work, you pour your life savings into it, you get STUCK and hogtied in your life until the gods decide what to do with you. I would not recommend it.

back when i was dealing with commercial real estate, i dealt with quite a few people on the entrepreneurial category. You have to maintain a turnover of $200,000 per year for 3 years before it gets approved, so unless they're actually good at what they're doing or really wealthy, it might be challenging

Another thought is that as part of the entrepreneurial / Long Term Business Visa route, is that you have to show benefit to NZ. Buying a motel is not good enough; buying it, increasing employment, increasing goods and services offered etc. is required. The buyer would have to grow and expand the business significantly. When I was looking at buying a business vs starting my own (what I'm doing now) I was going to have to put in quite a bit of work to make it acceptable which ultimately would be harder than starting from scratch.