Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No jobs for pr holders

Default No jobs for pr holders

Hi !

I am from India and got permanent resident visa in April 14.so on 30.jul.14 ..I have landed in Auckland. In India I was working with top IT LEADING COMPANY IBM ,my total work experience is 8 years. I have good command over English plus worked on very demanding technology but still I am not unable to find a job.I have applied for unlimited vacancies and still not receive even single interview call and infact I met some IT CONSULTANTS as well but no use . This is extremely heart-breaking. All NZ employers do not count my Indian work experience, they want local NZ experience. We have been told that New Zealand always give importance to people who have PR but here picture is absolutely different. I mean we have given one year to this immigration plus spend lot of money over this .. NZ Government has given us PR .. so employers should understand.. we must have some spark that's why we got PR.In case employers do not accept this NZ government should avoid giving PR to people from different countries. Or they should have shared this info with PR applicants that NZ EMPLOYERS may not count your HOME COUNTRY experience. let applicants decide themselves.

I am very confused and heart broken.. what should I do now. Without job survival is impossible out here. Above all , city is extremely expensive.

Please help anybody !

KitKat, I feel so sorry for you. All your effort and hopes, and it's not working out for you just yet.

Have you had any feedback from employers, or are you just guessing that they don't value your experience because you haven't got any interviews? There could be so much going on here, it's hard to advise. But I would consider:
    - your cv. Is it tailored to your prospective employer? Is it "New Zealand" styled?
    - your experience. Proving it satisfactorily to INZ for migration purposes is not the same as a New Zealand employer taking it at face value. It is true that people like for you to have some local experience, I think there is a mistrust based on people bigging up their experience elsewhere, and NZ companies not really able to do verification easily. This is linked to:
    - the level of position you are applying for. I was lucky in that I had a job before I came, but initially that job was below my pay grade. Once I proved myself, the recognition in pay came quickly. My daughter has a degree in aeronautical engineering, but is working in retail. And this is linked to:
    - your attitude/expectations. I'm not sure who told you that Residence holders would be "given importance", but you are in there with everyone else in a VERY competitive field. You may need to take something beneath your talents to be able to get that first step in the door.

Don't be miserable. You've only been here three weeks. Above all don't be lonely - seek out fellow countrymen for support while you are trying to integrate. Consider moving to one of the other major centres which are cheaper, like Wellington or Christchurch. Spend time/take advice on your CV. Use Immigration support services, we all pay for them in our levy! Think about making some selective, tailored, speculative applications, rather than applying for vacancies.

Over 20% of the staff in my office are migrants! as high as 50% in some teams, so there is work for residency holders!

Hi Ridvee!

Many thanks for your revert. Yes my resume and cover letter is as per new zeal standard.. and this feedback I got from NZ consultants and employers.. they always ask for local experience. Although I am still fighting...but sometimes you know..I lose my patience. Basically I am from IT background... and into mainframes... I contacted support services ..imagine they told me you need to wait at least 7-8 months.. and initially I am ready work in different field as well.. but people do not trust.. I mean ..I am professional ..worked with top companies like IBM,AON,XEROX .. and not even receive a single interview call... don't what to do... pls let me know in case you know any consultant who can atleast arrange an interview..

Hi Kitkat, Many immigrants have faced the same challenges before you and it's easy to get disheartened and bitter because you invested a lot to come to NZ. If you are short of cash and really want to stay for longer put up ads in supermarket to fix peoples computers/install new software etc.. Your current job searching strategy isn't working, so probably you should try a different approach. Do your research on companies you want to work for, then write to the manger or CEO and tell them what you can bring to the company, i.e. like make their IT more efficient, user friendly, hassle-free, set-up cloud services, improve security or whatever your specialty area is. Follow-up with them and arrange meetings to tell them more about what you can do for them. It's easy for people to be turned off by people only telling them what they did in the past!! It's better to talk about what you can do for them in the future to improve their business. Also consider whether you can freelance with your skills? Whatever you do, don't stop believing in yourself.

Hi Kitkat, look into Xero or any other fast growing NZ company. They will definitely be hiring. Good Luck!

thanks ! Dr. Robin.. Infact ..I had already worked with IBM, AON, XEROX ... I will certainly apply for XERO.. thanks a ton .. and send me personal message in case you know any consultant.. or any have details for any vacancies ... I shall be grateful to you... thanks a ton !

you said you worked for big companies but didnt mention what kind of job you were doing, IT is not a job. so cant help even if I know any companies.

you're only been here for 3 weeks, so dont get your hope too high, it took my current employer 1 month since I submitted the CV to actually give me a call, and another 1 month to do interviews (5 rounds in total).

It's not easy to find permanent role with big companies in NZ, so you may want to look at some contractor work to get started. Or consider smaller companies but of course, the pay will not be high.

It is not easy but do persevere - not just on job search but also on what else you can do in the interim.

Hi Ntuananh !thanks a ton for your reply ...

I am an IT professional who has a rich past experience in Mainframe Operations, Service Delivery, Service Management (Incident, Change and Problem), Security, Disaster Recovery Process - involving working with Data canters, quality in terms of Automation and managing new Transition projects through all the concepts which involves various stages of Project Management.
    Certifications:
    ITIL-V3, AIX basics, Mainframe ZoS, Storage and MVS.

I have more than 7.5 years of work experience with organisations like IBM, Xerox and AON Hewitt, in addition to this; I was also involved in a couple of new transitions in France and Belgium in 2013 for IBM India.
    In the past, I have worked with various prestigious and reputable clients including but not limited to Verizon Communications, ABN-AMRO, TATA Steel, NN, and Solvay chemicals.
    Last edited by kitkats117; 26th August 2014 at 02:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast