Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand - an opportunity for a decent living

During the year or so after the big earthquakes they were indeed an everyday occurrence. Right now, I can't even remember when I last felt a shake of any kind so certainly not frequent. It's not a big deal, you get used to it and each one only lasts a few seconds. It does not feel risky, the conversation around the office might pause briefly, then someone will say "4.5?" and another will say "nah 3 at most" then we look online to see where it was and then everything continues as before.

Hi there,
    as the others have said, NZ seems to be a very welcoming place. We've never felt "foreign" like with did when living in France or visiting the UK! We're accepted here as there are just so many migrants.

Coming from a country without earthquakes I understand where your questions are coming from and we actually did a 1st aid course before coming and recently a "be prepared" course with the Emergency Management Office. It is something to be aware of and be prepared for. They do happen all the time, that said I've only felt 2 while I've been here. The second being yesterday when the building did seem to jolt! Research NZ and what happens here, but then only you know how you're going to feel about that.

Hey man, from my experience i think curiosity is more of the first impression. But it swings both ways, especially if your in a heavily maori influenced place (wait till you have your first maori 'handshake' )

Overall the locals ive met have been genuine and extremely welcoming. Classic example was when i had only been here a few weeks, managed to find an empty peak down a long bay with no one around for miles. Was surfing for about 2hrs when a car pulled up with about 7 or 8 lads and started drinking and playing music on the beach. They watched me for a bit and i knew i would eventually encounter them when paddling in. Finally when i decided to call it about an hour later, i walked past them, almost trying to avoid eye contact (and what i thought could be trouble) only to be stopped with:

"Getting some waves out there my bru?"

- "yeh a few mate"

"aww yeh, looks pretty cold ay?"

(blah blah blah) long story short after about 10 mins of conversation they asked me if i wanted to come back and join them for a beer and a smoke! Almost silly to look back thinking i was going to get my head kicked in.

Im not saying everywhere will be an absolute fairytale, but most places ive been too have been welcoming. Then again i dont spend much time in the major cities, where the culture is always going to be different and at a much faster pace
    Last edited by simonUKNZ; 28th August 2014 at 02:31 AM.

Thanks for the info! Especially regarding earthquakes, much appreciated! I suppose it's just an every day thing.

@simonUKNZ Really glad to hear that, your story really sparkled some good vibrations inside me. I prefer slow-paced small places over big cities any time.

I think NZ is a place where if you're willing to work hard, be humble, you'll make it fine. Go for it if you'd like to explore.

As for encounters with locals, I've met mostly friendly people. In fact, some of my neighbours have been Maori and they're even more friendly than the Pakehas (white) - if there's such a perception from outside or anywhere thinking it may be the other way round. I've had some unfriendly encounters too when I'm walking my dog and young drivers roll down their window and call me ching chong chang, kid stretching his eyes to mock me Asian eyes, teenagers throw a stone at our car when we drove to a state housing street, or even local rednecks giving me that angry look. You know what, I really don't care. I'm a respectable law-abiding resident, pay my taxes and I'm healthy.

In normal circumstance, try not to avoid eye contact. Look at them smile and say hi or good morning if you like. I find intentionally avoiding eye contact makes the other person feel disrespected. Unless, the other person started it first by being arrogant then I usually just walk on. But in a rural area where there's not many people around, I almost always want to make sure I say hello to the other person so there's a lesser chance he feels like I'm sneaking up on him or vice versa.

Where I come from, people(even skilled people with university degrees) work 9 hours a day for ~330-400 NZD a month on average, and I'm looking for an escape from it. I don't mind working 24/7 as long as I get a fair treatment in terms of salary and stuff. I wouldn't dare ask for any benefits, let alone sit around without an employment and complain about it, it'd just be plain disrespectful to my new homeland.
    I'm sorry to read that you've encountered something like that, but I guess we're bound to bump across some odd people anywhere in the world. "I'm a respectable law-abiding resident, pay my taxes and I'm healthy. ", that's what I abide by, and I agree with you 100%.
    In small places over here we got the same social customs; always say "good day" to a random pedestrian, just to avoid any uncomfortable situations.
    Last edited by Mirco; 30th August 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12