View Poll Results: Does "seek.co.nz" actually work?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • No

5 55.56%

Thread: Does "seek.co.nz" actually work?

Default Does "seek.co.nz" actually work?

My experience says no. How about you? Could you share some experiences how you made it work? Do you always send out cover letter?

My husband had success and so have I looking for a part-time job since I had been here in NZ!

the recruiters generally look for candidates with the highest probability of success since they work on a commission basis. Hence, people from countries such as the UK, Australia and South Africa may experience higher rates of success. If you feel u may be overlooked for certain reasons such as an unfamiliar name, it could be more effective to approach the company directly, either as a direct application to any open positions or on a speculative basis.

I don't think seek.co.nz is an effective portal for Job search rather i would prefer to approach the company directly. Just to get some statistics on this portal i have been observing the jobs posted on seek for the past year and half, and here are my comments- And these observations are for ICT jobs only.
    1.Among the jobs posted on seek only 30% are unique jobs and rest of them are duplicate jobs. I mean for the same job different agencies will post the ads including the main company. We can confirm this based on the job description which matches line to line.
    2.And among the remaining jobs some of them are does not exists in real time and agencies will post only to collect the profiles from candidates for future use.

Based on my experience either Linkedin or Careers site of the company works much better.

Any one agree with me?

nzitguy is quite correct; in many cases the same job will be posted by different recruiters.

I think Seek has its merits, of course, but you aren't reaching every employer if you go down that route. If you can narrow down some companies you want to work for, and check their companies also you can try to approach them directly.

Not many employers can afford to use Seek , and they often get hundreds of people applying.

Hence it helps to have a good CV since Seek.co.nz requests that and if you don't have a sharp CV you will miss out.