Thread: EOI, no qualifications but work experience

Default EOI, no qualifications but work experience

Hi Guys!!

Im thinking about sending my EOI online.

Im currently employed in a skilled migrant occupation(Web Developer), and my work visa application was approved a couple of months ago(July).

I have 2 years of related work experience in my home country, and 1 year of related work experience here in New Zealand (with different employers), but no qualifications.

When completing the form for the EOI I found this message:

"PLEASE NOTE: You cannot claim these bonus points for your work experience unless you meet the specific requirements laid out in columns three/four of the Long Term Skill Shortage List."
    I have checked the list and column three.four are pretty much all about qualifications, does this mean that despite my experience in the position and the fact that Im currently working in this position with a work Visa, I cannot claim points as Skilled migrant?

Cheers guys and thanks for the help

You will be able to count as a Skilled Migrant, but you can't claim bonus points under LTSSL without the qualification.

See the note on the Web Developer page http://skillshortages.immigration.go...web-developer/, that Web Developer counts as a Category A skilled job, for people with one of these sets of qualifications.
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category A)

A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)

You will need to show a minimum of 100 points to get your EOI selected in due course, when you can show five years' relevant experience, and the fact that you're still in the job in NZ.
    OR
    The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    OR
    The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    OR
    Five years of relevant work experience.
    So they've mentioned five years of relevant work experience, and the ANZSCO list also states five years. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....7?opendocument

Thanks for your reply.

Does the experience in my home country (Argentina) count as "relevant" experience or it needs to be in NZ? I have letters to prove my previous jobs in Argentina.

See SM11.10 and SM11.15 here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30567.htm, for the regulations about what work experience counts as recognised.

Argentina is not one of the countries listed as being a comparable labour market, but depending on who your employer was, you might be able to count your time there.
    Work experience undertaken in a country not listed at (a) above will be assessed as being in a comparable labour market only if it was undertaken for a multinational commercial entity (including a wholly or majority owned subsidiary of such an entity that bears the same core name as the parent company) domiciled in one of the countries listed in (a) above.

So no Bonus Points, ok.

But without the 5 years experience and the job, am I able to count as a Skilled Migrant?

Cheers and thanks again for your help

If you currently have a job offer in New Zealand and can show the necessary 5 years of work experience to substiutute for a qualification that is all you will need, so long as you have the required 100 points, (counting age, job offer, and work experience (plus NZ work experience?)points. Don't worry about bonus points.

Hi Javier. I live in Argentina and been thinking on applying for jobs in NZ. I'm Argentinian as well but since the rules of the forum dictates to post in English here we are. Can you please share some experience? I'm a network engineer with 10+ years working here for mayor companies and just like you it's all experience. no formal acreditation for this can be held since i don't have a degree. Have you been in NZ by the time you got a job? have you applied from here? Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You will be able to count as a Skilled Migrant, but you can't claim bonus points under LTSSL without the qualification.
    Are you sure about that since the topic starter doesn't have either five years of work experience or recognised qualifications, which is essential to have in order to claim 50 points for skilled employment?
    Last edited by scout; 16th November 2014 at 11:37 AM.

'Will be able' - future. Down the line when he's done enough time, not yet.

Ok, thx, I've just wanted to avoid any confusion here since he said that is about to submi his EOI now.

Im thinking about sending my EOI online.