Thread: Open work permit twice!!!

Default Open work permit twice!!!

I am on a open work permit after completing my Post graduate Diploma in IT which is a level 9 course
    Unfortunately i am still unemployed and just have one more month left for my visa to expire.

Can I now convert to student visa and then get a another open work permit based on that course?
    am I eligible for another open work permit??

Yes, you can, but there are a few conditions -

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1074

Personally, I don't think another qualification would increase your employability much as you already have a level 9 qualification, but if you're just looking to buy more time, then, by all means, go for it.

I am saying this from my personal experience, by the way. I came to NZ to do my masters in computer science and was fortunate to get a job right after graduation, but realized a bachelors degree was enough to get a job. I think pursuing a post-graduate graduate qualification only helps if you want to become a teacher/researcher etc. If you're just looking for a job in IT, almost every job would ask you for a maximum of a bachelors degree.
    Last edited by dreammerchant; 27th August 2014 at 02:27 PM.

U7.5 Second and subsequent programmes of study

There is no limit on the number of programmes of study foreign students may undertake in New Zealand

and

WD2 Post-study work visa – open

b.To be eligible for a work visa, applicants must not previously have been granted a visa under these instructions unless they have undertaken and completed a second higher qualification that is either a New Zealand bachelor degree or post-graduate qualification and have studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least one academic year.

thank you for the help.. links were helpful

u will get 2nd open work permit if u study higher course ( u did level 9 so if u do level 10 that i PhD) then u will get another open work permit.
    been through this situation myself... good luck mate

... and don't forget that in NZ, PhD students only have to pay domestic fees and are allowed to work full-time - although having tried full-time work and a PhD, it wasn't easy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    U7.5 Second and subsequent programmes of study

There is no limit on the number of programmes of study foreign students may undertake in New Zealand

and

WD2 Post-study work visa – open

b.To be eligible for a work visa, applicants must not previously have been granted a visa under these instructions unless they have undertaken and completed a second higher qualification that is either a New Zealand bachelor degree or post-graduate qualification and have studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least one academic year.
    To comply with copyright can you please supply a link for this thankyou

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236 rule 7

Quote Originally Posted by Mayur View Post
    I am on a open work permit after completing my Post graduate Diploma in IT which is a level 9 course
    Unfortunately i am still unemployed and just have one more month left for my visa to expire.

Can I now convert to student visa and then get a another open work permit based on that course?
    am I eligible for another open work permit??
    By the way.. post graduate is always level 8.. masters is level 9.... or is post graduate Diploma in IT is considered equal to masters level ???