Thread: BS Physics degree under ICT group for SMC Application

Default BS Physics degree under ICT group for SMC Application

Hi everyone,
    I'm a bit confused and need your assistance here:

My degree is Bachelor of Science in Physics (from Philippines) but my work experiences are mostly with being a Business Analyst. I'm planning to apply residency under SMC (ICT, Electronic & Telecommunication group).

1. Since my course is definitely not in the list, does it ,mean that I cannot claim the 50 points?
    2. Given the same situation, will there be an issue if I apply under the Work to Residence Scheme instead? Or this scheme is more particular with the work experiences only?
    3. Do I still need to ask NZQA to assess my degree or it won't help?

Sorry for having too many questions. Thanks for your time in advance

Since my course is definitely not in the list, does it ,mean that I cannot claim the 50 points?
    There is nothing held to be wrong with a qualification that isn't on the exempt list - it just hasn't been checked over by NZQA and the results recorded. So your degree can still count if you need it to for this application, if you get it assessed. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/ (Don't bother with PAR - you need IQA anyway for the Invitation To Apply (ITA) - so it's a waste of money to do both.)

There's no 'issue' with a qualification that isn't on the list. The list is just those qualifications that NZQA has recorded results for. Any other qualification may be just as good, but you just have to give the details to NZQA so they can formally say so.

Thank you for explaining. May I just clarify, what's the difference between PAR & IQA? When do I use which?

See this old post. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42324

You do not HAVE to use PAR at all, though it is allowed for the EOI form (but so is IQA). To be frank, for most people PAR is a waste of time, since it only goes by the wording that happens to be in the title of the qualification listed by the applicant, and can be found to be wrong when the details are examined under IQA.

I had a rough experience with NZQA, I was pre-assessed with level 7 and then during full, it went down to level 5. I was refunded though but this seems to be a case by case basis (e.g. who made the mistake).

You might want to check with your university first about your degree. Aside from CHED recognition, they were looking for accreditation on the course itself. ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...#Accreditation

Then again, this happened just last year (2013). Some could have a different experience as mine.