Thread: SMC Application Query around job offer - Trial period

Default SMC Application Query around job offer - Trial period

Hi Everyone,

I have a few queries around the SMC immigration process.

I am currently on WTR visa in New Zealand and just started off my new job. My job offer has a trial period of 90 days however. Would anyone have any idea if I can claim for the points for employment in SMC before 90 days or only after 90 days?

Also, I was employed in NZ before this for 1 year. So have been in NZ for more than a year.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello. I think you're going to have to be patient a bit longer.

Employment must be ongoing and sustainable. Ongoing and sustainable employment is:

an offer of employment or current employment, with a single employer, that is permanent or indefinite, and of which the employer is in a position to meet the terms specified
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30549.htm

This is one of the requirements for claiming the points for skilled employment. Until your contract is confirmed after the 90 days' trial, the job isn't permanent.

Thank you for your reply! I have another question regarding KiwiSaver. Would I be eligible for it once I get residency? or is it only after Permanent Residency?

http://www.kiwisaver.govt.nz/new/join/who-can/
    You can join KiwiSaver if you're:

a New Zealand citizen, or entitled to live in New Zealand indefinitely
    (my bolding) The part in bold type means you can be in if you're a Resident. (Residence gives you the right to stay in NZ indefinitely, while you're in the country. The only thing temporary about it is the two years' travel conditions, which kick in when you're outside and wanting to come back.)