Thread: Query about Permanent Resident Visa

Default Query about Permanent Resident Visa

Hi all,

I and my wife had filed a residency application in which I was principal applicant. Recently our application got approved and we got residence visa. Now to apply for permanent residence visa- one needs to been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application.
    So my queries are:
    1. If I stay 184 or more days in first year and 184 or more days in second year and while applying for permanent residence visa Im outside of New Zealand. Can I still get permanent resident visa or do I need to be in New Zealand for applying PR.
    2. If my wife cannot complete 184 or more days stay per year in New Zealand clause, can she still get PR as Ill be principal applicant in the PR application

Thanks,

I think it is 'yes' for both.

Two counts of 'yes'.

One thing to notice is that you have to count the qualifying periods of 12 months BACKWARDS from the date when you apply for PR.

Thanks for reply... however I'm still confused about 'Yes' to my first query . Do I need to be in NZ for applying for PR or not ?

You can apply for PR from outside NZ, as long as you have met the requirements.

See under Step 3, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm

If you apply from outside the country, you will need to get the PR visa before you try to re-enter, to avoid being in the situation of trying to travel with a lapsed (ordinary) Residence visa, which airlines won't be allowed to accept.