Thread: Divorce

Default Divorce

Hello, Could anyone help me in divorce matters. I have separated with my ex over 30 years and don't know where about she is and now about to file for a divorce.
    Do I have to stay in new zealand after i file the papers?. Reasons is i wanted to go overseas to be with my partner. I have try to search all over the ministry of justice and couldn't find anything about being in new zealand after i have file in the divorce papers. Hope someone could help me in this issues. Will be much appreciated. Thank you

One of my family (NZ PR holder) filed for divorce from his NZ wife while back in NZ on a holiday, and then went back to his (now) home country. The case went through quickly (they had filed jointly so it was the simplest possible), and the papers were sent on to him overseas. But of course in the case of my relative, the ex-wife was living in NZ throughout and continued to do so. However, I see it says here http://www.justice.govt.nz/family-ju...-for-a-divorce "At least one party needs to be domiciled in New Zealand when the application is made." (my bolding) I think that all makes it look as though you may be able to leave before the divorce is finalized, but you should check, maybe with officials of the Family Court, or Citizens' Advice, if you don't have a lawyer, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    One of my family (NZ PR holder) filed for divorce from his NZ wife while back in NZ on a holiday, and then went back to his (now) home country. The case went through quickly (they had filed jointly so it was the simplest possible), and the papers were sent on to him overseas. But of course in the case of my relative, the ex-wife was living in NZ throughout and continued to do so. However, I see it says here http://www.justice.govt.nz/family-ju...-for-a-divorce "At least one party needs to be domiciled in New Zealand when the application is made." (my bolding) I think that all makes it look as though you may be able to leave before the divorce is finalized, but you should check, maybe with officials of the Family Court, or Citizens' Advice, if you don't have a lawyer, to be sure.
    Thank you for the advise. Yes i have seen that at least one party has to be in new zealand. My situation is one party filing. I have a lawyer and he is not 100% sure that i can leave the country. From i have read i need to wait for 60 days before the divorce can be finalise. I may ring up the Citizen Advise and see what can i do.