Thread: Tip - DroidTV - all the US shows you want

Lightbulb Tip - DroidTV - all the US shows you want

For those of you with an Android device, I'd recommend DroidTV for getting your US (and some UK shows broadcast in US/Canada) TV fix.

In a nutshell, it downloads (i.e. for offline watching) US aired TV shows to your device a day or so after it airs in the US. It's not free, but I've used it for several years and couldn't be happier with the support. There is a also a separate DroidTV bundle, which can attach to your TV directly. You may have to get a power convertor (although many power adapters are dual voltage these days). At least one user has taken their device overseas (Denmark) and have not reported issues. It uses an HDMI output for up to 720p recordings.

I'm not positive if you'd need a VPN service. If memory serves, it tried downloading shows when I was in Indonesia earlier this year (I stopped the downloads manually because I had lowsy wifi).

Anyway, check out DROID TV Primetime Users Group on Facebook for pricing.

I just asked about the viability overseas, but wanted to let people know since pricing takes a signficant jump after 10 Sep 14. I'll post their repsonse when I get it.

[Full disclosure, I have no connection to the app or hardware developers; I'm just a user.]

Ok that was quick:

Apparently, there is a problem with shipping the DroidTV bundle overseas with a lithium battery in the wireless keyboard.

That being said, they have shipped to APO addresses (overseas military bases), and at least one user in South Korea reports that it works well for them.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I thought I'd let people know it was an option.
    The regular DroidTV app is available on the google play store; It clearly doesn't have the battery issue, since you already own your own device (i.e. tablet/phone).