Thread: Finishing NCEA past school.

Default Finishing NCEA past school.

Hi there! I'm a 19 year old who's in a bit of a sticky situation in my life. I struggled with depression during my college years, and dropped out of my school, and went into home-schooling at 15. The first year of home-schooling didn't go particularly well, and the second one was where I was meant to have started my NCEA Level 1's. I didn't work well without motivation, and didn't do any exams, or even get close to finishing level 1. Last year, I dropped out, turning 18 that year, and my parents suggesting I take a break and start working for the family business as it evidently wasn't working for me. That was probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life, and I'm living at home, not doing productive things, with no proof of any education past year 10.

My question is, after that backstory to hopefully shed some light on the situation is; How do I get through NCEA when I never started? (With the goal of going to University sooner rather than later)

I'm sorry if it's been asked before or if the information can be found elsewhere, but I'm really in a rut and couldn't find any information elsewhere. Thanks in advance if anyone can help! (Even referring me to somewhere than can would be very helpful!)

I found this site, which shows it's possible to do NCEAs by correspondence. http://www.correspondence.school.nz/...qualifications This would depend on being able to motivate yourself now. Having myself done several kinds of distance learning, I know that it CAN actually proceed much faster than learning in school, IF you have a strong wish to either, learn that subject, or, get that qualification for a specific purpose. Nobody can drive you harder than you can drive yourself. But if you're not going to make yourself do the work, it's just a waste of time and money.

I also found this, from NZQA itself. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...eaving-school/ This shows that they are obviously open to awarding credits to people in non-standard situations, so it could well be worth contacting NZQA and asking them if they could suggest study options that could be available to you.

Thank you kindly! I'll look into those, and hopefully get myself back on track!

Good luck!

Before thinking about how to get UE, approach the unis you are interested and see what they advise. Some unis are better than others at dealing with non-standard students, so don't be disheartened if the first one you contact is not helpful. Most unis have pathways to tertiary study that might be a better fit for you than slogging at NCEAs via distance study and they also should be able to advise you about local options for getting UE. What do you want to study at uni and which unis are you interested in?

Don't despair - take it from this (UK equivalent) high school drop-out who is currently in the last weeks of undergrad and applying for grad school: you can get there with determination and commitment

Don't forget that you can get special admission to some university courses if you're aged 20 or over. I'm not saying don't bother with NCEA - it would give you a good grounding. But don't feel like you've missed out completely. Also, places like Unitec offer Foundation Studies courses:

http://www.unitec.ac.nz/about-us/con...tion-education

These courses seem to be an acceptable pre-requisite for other courses at Unitec, eg. http://www.unitec.ac.nz/career-and-s...s-introductory

Hey same. I'm l9 at the time but I haven't finished level 3. It took me almost three years to finish level 2 due to serious depression and anxiety etc. I am trying to do correspondence but I dont know where that's going because the motivation isn't there. I know its late about 2017 but I was wondering if you ever check this post again. I'm wodering if your at uni now? Has everything worked out just out curiosity.?

The original poster hasn't been on the forum since December, 2014, so may not see your question.