Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe neighbourhoods in Hamilton

Default Safe neighbourhoods in Hamilton

Which neighbourhoods in Hamilton would be considered 'good' or 'safe' neighbourhoods, and which ones to avoid?

Is Melville and the surrounding suburbs okay?

Hi melange, see this thread http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44321

Melville is probably the worst suburb in Hamilton! Check out the North East: Rototuna, Rototuna North, Flagstaff, Huntington. Also Cambridge, which is a little town ~30 minutes drive South East. All are much more expensive than Melville, but much much safer.

I think Glenview which is relatively close to Melville is okay, but not any of the others (Fitzroy, Bader, Deanwell, Dinsdale, etc.)
    Also check out Hillcrest, Saint Andrews and Pukete.
    Avoid Enderley.

Unfortunately Hamilton tends to have a negative reputation around NZ as being both boring and trashy/dangerous .

Quote Originally Posted by pear View Post

Melville is probably the worst suburb in Hamilton! Check out the North East: Rototuna, Rototuna North, Flagstaff, Huntington. Also Cambridge, which is a little town ~30 minutes drive South East. All are much more expensive than Melville, but much much safer.

I think Glenview which is relatively close to Melville is okay, but not any of the others (Fitzroy, Bader, Deanwell, Dinsdale, etc.)
    Avoid Enderley.

Unfortunately Hamilton tends to have a negative reputation around NZ as being both boring and trashy/dangerous .
    Melville is horrible..I work there! Avoid Fairfield too. I agree with previous posters description. We live in Cambridge and really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pear View Post

Avoid Enderley.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be working in the hospital and was hoping to have minimal commute time, but seems like that will be out of the question in this case. Will check out Glenview and Hillcrest, they seem promising.
    Last edited by melange; 17th September 2014 at 01:26 AM.

Hello everyone, I'm looking to relocate to Hamilton shortly. From the above post, I've made a Good and bad list of suburbs at Hamilton. Request anyone who is staying currently to confirm or update accordingly. Thanks!

GOOD: Rototuna, Rototuna North, Flagstaff, Huntington, Cambridge, Glenview, Hillcrest, Saint Andrews and Pukete

BAD: Fitzroy, Bader, Deanwell, Dinsdale, Melville, Enderley

Hi, I live in Hamilton since I moved to NZ three years ago. I have lived in Rototuna and currently live in Flagstaff, which are both very nice areas but property price / rental is high. I have a large 4 / 5 bed place in a very good part of Flagstaff and it costs me $550 a week - but you do get what you pay for in Hamilton. Other nice areas are Chartwell, Chedworth Park, Pukete, Western Heights, Glenview, Forest Lake.

The thing about Hamilton is, it's very 'pocketed' - there are really nice parts of Dinsdale, for example, but other parts of Dinsdale are not so great ! Likewise even in Rototuna there are lots of rental places there so the neighbourhood 'feel' is not very nice as people tend to move around a lot. Flagstaff is older and more established, with mainly older residents so it is nice and quiet.

As already mentioned, there are plenty of towns outside Hamilton if you don't mind a short drive. Cambridge / Leamington, Matangi, Tamahere, Te Awamutu, Horsham Downs, Gordonton are just a few and offer semi-rural living if that's your thing. You even have Raglan, a lovely coastal town with surfing, fishing etc only 55 KMs away and property prices are quite good out there.

Quote Originally Posted by markoneswift View Post
    Hi, I live in Hamilton since I moved to NZ three years ago. I have lived in Rototuna and currently live in Flagstaff, which are both very nice areas but property price / rental is high. I have a large 4 / 5 bed place in a very good part of Flagstaff and it costs me $550 a week - but you do get what you pay for in Hamilton. Other nice areas are Chartwell, Chedworth Park, Pukete, Western Heights, Glenview, Forest Lake.

The thing about Hamilton is, it's very 'pocketed' - there are really nice parts of Dinsdale, for example, but other parts of Dinsdale are not so great ! Likewise even in Rototuna there are lots of rental places there so the neighbourhood 'feel' is not very nice as people tend to move around a lot. Flagstaff is older and more established, with mainly older residents so it is nice and quiet.

As already mentioned, there are plenty of towns outside Hamilton if you don't mind a short drive. Cambridge / Leamington, Matangi, Tamahere, Te Awamutu, Horsham Downs, Gordonton are just a few and offer semi-rural living if that's your thing. You even have Raglan, a lovely coastal town with surfing, fishing etc only 55 KMs away and property prices are quite good out there.
    Thanks for you valuable feedback Feels great to hear back from someone who has been staying in Hamilton for a while. I'm very anxious about my relocation to Hamilton and would love to connect / interact with as many friends as possible.

Which areas look promising from family with kids ? Looking for this info in Hamilton only.

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    Which areas look promising from family with kids ? Looking for this info in Hamilton only.
    Any ideas ?

Rototuna I am guessing, hopefully you will get more replies when people jump on later NZ time. It is very like every other neighbourhood nearby though as in no specific character, but I know lots of people who really like it there. Lots of new build there. We are in Cambridge and love it. I guess also maybe Newstead, Tamahere(just on way towards Cambridge), Ruakura.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast