Thread: Returning to NZ on the same date as the expiry date on Resident visa

Default Returning to NZ on the same date as the expiry date on Resident visa

Hi,

I will be going for a holiday overseas and my Resident visa has a travel condition that expires on the 7th of Dec. My flight back to NZ is on the same date - 7th Dec. (I forgot checking my visa first - I'm an idiot). Would I be still granted entry to NZ?

The cost of rebooking my ticket is a bit expensive so it's the least of my options. Another option I have is to apply for a variation of travel conditions but I'm having second thoughts as I'm also planning to apply for a PR on the same week that I'll be back in NZ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

In your place, I would check with INZ for a definitive answer.

Another possible thing to throw into the mix is that MAYBE they'll say it's all right to come in actually ON the day of expiry like this, but what if there were to be some travel hold-up so your flight was put back enough so it didn't get in on the actual date? You'd be in real difficulties then. If it was me, I wouldn't risk it.

Theoretically, if you can enter NZ before 23:59 pm on the 7th of December, then you should be able to enter without any difficulties. But, like JandM said you should factor in any travel hold-ups that can possibly occur and decide. It is a risk.

Thanks JandM and dreammerchant. I rang INZ and they mentioned technically I should still be allowed to enter before 23:59 on the 7th Dec as what dreammerchant said. But the border might have a different interpretation on it.